Cinderella? NO.

My dream is to become the richest woman on earth and marry a Persian prince or an Arab one. I love Arabs so much, I take their coffee and watch Arabic channels, though I don't understand much (a lot). I always wanted to be a princess and rule the world. People tell me it is impossible for any Arab to marry me, talk more of 'the prince'. Billy would say "They are bloody racist, so wake up!" A small part of me believes it's impossible but a bigger part of me believes Allah who split the sea for Musa(as) would also make a way for me. And the famous story of the old lady that begged Allah to bring a doctor for her dying grandson made me have hope. I believe Allah would make it rain, move the mountain, shake an Arab prince's jet and make him look for shelter from me. From there, he would ask for my hand in marriage. I sound so dramatic but by Allah this is what I believe. After all, Allah just needs to say kun(be) and it would be.
I did my BA in English and Literary studies so I am eligible to choose any art course I want. I need an MA course on anything that's going to make my dream come true. I didn't tell you about my dream. My dream is to see a hunger free, violence free world. I want a world where education is free, where kids are saved and the entire humanity. I know my dream is wild. But I have the right to dream and Alhamdulillah I am willing to help the world and see my dream come true. I hate maths so I going nowhere near anything that involves number (population of the children suffering? I'll ask google, obviously). I want to work with UN and NGO's. I searched for any course that involves sustainable development but couldn't. I contacted my HOD and sought his assistance. Though he hates me changing field but he helped me still "Mariam, going into peace and conflict resolution or sustainable development is kind of deep, so what I advise you is: you take international relations now. By doing that, you'll get an insight and foundation for peace and conflict resolution, including foreign policy. After that, you do your PHD in sustainable development or anything related to what you want". He's just like my dad, school, school. They just want to see me in school. Being the valedictorian feels good, but after graduation (those gifts and pictures) that's where everything stopes. After a year or few months, you'll hear that the quite girl in your class is marrying the president's son or the dump boy in your class is the CEO of his father's company earning millions while you are in bed looking for a job or worse; searching for a Master's program while you hear that your best friend is already in the labour room about to have her 2nd child. It's already two years after our graduation, I used my 1 year for NYSC, this year for Korean dramas and internet (searching for a school). The rule is, I am going to search for any university in the UAE except Middlesex Dubai. Reason? Because all my friends' friends are in Middlesex and I heard that school is flooded with Hausa boys. I am done with Hausa boys and their drama and gaze (they look too much. ANNOYING!). I sent mails to several universities in and outside Dubai inquiring about their 'MA International Relations'. Some International Relation courses have Political Science attached to them. I hate politics, I am including it in my marriage contract, though in Nigeria there is nothing like marriage contract. Reminds me of a friend of Billy that got married and the husband agreed with her on continuing her studies after marriage. Because it was not written down, probably her dad just talked to the fiancé's dad and they agreed.  After the wedding, the in laws and even the husband said no way she was going to school. That was what happened. Marriage contract is Islamic but our cultures abandoned it. I think men found and wrote down our cultures. Everything is to their behest.
Some universities replied by saying "It's only part time ma, and that is two years of study". No! I cannot spend two years doing masters. In my school, where I did my BA, it is 1 year 6 months. I can't go abroad and spend two years doing masters. Some told me they don't receive application online (can you imagine!). Some never replied. After two weeks, my dad told me "You really need to get a school Maryam, I am going for hajj Insha'Allah, so I want to see that I am done with your school. Get a school and course, let's pay the fees, get your visa and you leave before me. I think that's better for you. All your siblings are going back to school. Bilqis is going for her catering school in Kaduna so you'll be left alone". Without thinking, I applied in Middlesex. When I was searching for school days back, I saw that Middlesex offers MA IR. The 1st email I received in the morning was from them, they sent me a link which explains everything I needed to know and everything I needed. They offer MA IR in 1 year with only four courses, including thesis. Two courses for each semester. Their accommodation is good, close to the Mall of the Emirates, metro station and Masjid. I am thankful to Allah but not very happy. I received their acceptance letter after a week and before I knew it, it was time to go. I took Emirates at Nnamdi Azikwe International Airport Abuja straight to Dubai airport. I watched two Korean movies on board and Romeo and Juliet. I then made a du'a(prayer) and asked Allah to protect from whatever harm available in Dubai and give me the best from all His bounties. I didn't sleep, I was thinking and found myself excited(strange). I arrived at 1am, went straight to Signature Hotel Al Barsha, claimed my reservation and slept till afternoon. I woke up by 2pm. Took lunch, showered and checked out. It was September and the weather was very hot. I was wearing a one layer black abaya (black lose gown), with a scarf and sandals. I took a cab to Middlesex campus. In less than 30 minutes, I was done with registration. I took a map and gave the cab guy to take me to The Residence (the dorms). The Residence is 10minutes drive from the campus. The buildings are very beautiful with 15 people in each villa. They have up to 20 villas for both boys and girls. The boys own the front villas while the girls back. I took a room that accommodates 3 people because I cannot risk taking a room of 2, I hate drama and don't want to find chatterbox as a roommate or a vampire or worse, (too much movies in my head). Every villa is equipped with a big sitting room with TV and beautiful sofas, dining with table and chairs, laundry room with washing machine, a very spacious kitchen that has everything, including cutlery. Our rooms have lockers, wardrobes, duvets and bedsheets, with cleaners coming twice a week. A gym at the back with an instructor, basketball court and a swimming pool. I love The Residence. I went 27th September and our lectures were scheduled to start 7th October. In those 10 days I got to bond with Rose; my roommate. In my life I had never met someone that talks a lot. Wallahi in 1 day, I knew her mum's former husband's name, profession, even his present wife and her 3-year-old daughter that is allergic to fur. She also told me about her mum's present husband and the baby her mum has with him; Chelsea is her name and she was born on 24th February 2014. Rose also told me about her ex, her present and her next (Emirati guy). I don't know how I am roommate with a 16-year-old girl. I am 23 about to start my masters and Rose is in foundation. This combination is the worst I have seen. Rose has been preparing for her 1st day in school I think since the day she arrived. She went to River Island and got knee length boots (it is summer). She got bag pack from Call It Spring and a top from Centre Point. Rose is very sweet but she talks too much. I wonder who's coming as the 3rd roommate. Fine I can live with a vampire (although she shouldn't let me know) but please she shouldn't talk much.
After subhi(dawn) prayer I went back to sleep. An hour later, Rose woke me up telling we have 3 hours to catch the 1st bus to school, although my lectures start 6pm I had to go to school for some clearances. I wore a black abaya (long loose gown) with belt to fit my body and wrapped the scarf over my head and neck (mini hijab), I wore an animal print wedge shoes and a silver handbag. We entered the bus together and separated at the school entrance. I went to see my lecturers by following uncountable directions, office numbers and floor numbers. The lecturers all seem nice and confident, just talking to them scares me and I wonder if I could ever get a degree from here. In the evening, 6pm, I met my classmates, few Nigerians, 1 Saudi guy, a Hindu, Pakistani, Zambian, 2 Sundaneses, 1 English, 1 American and some I didn't pay attention to their country, I was just trying to figure out names. All these people I mentioned, some are double my age and some have a kids my age. I felt so miserable, no hot guy, or even young. I lost hope in my 1st class. I came back exhausted and miserable and met Rose sleeping. After isha prayer, Rose woke up and I told her about my dilemma. She says and I quote "Maryam I think my case is more critical; all the boys are young and some cute but do you know how many of them were there, among 50 of us? 7, they were just seven boys and they divided us into groups and they didn't put a single boy in my group. This is how they divided us into classes, what I am trying to say is that I don't have a single boy in my class, so technically I am ruined!" she cried. I couldn't help laughing and I don't think my case is in anyway better. After Sunday, they next and last class I have for the week is Tuesday, my classes are only twice a week and in the evening when all the cute boys from undergraduate have left for the day. The 1st week went by so quickly, on Sunday after lectures I came back and saw someone's stuff in our room, which indicates we have a 3rd roommate, I heard someone in the shower and guessed it was Rose, I prayed maghrib and was on my musallah (praying mat) when the bathroom door opened and a girl came out, she had these lump of fake hair on her head and the tiniest towel I had ever seen a teenager wear, she bent down to rub cream and I could see what was under the towel. I turned away and later we introduced each other and I learned she's a Muslim. It was okay to see a Muslim in Nigeria wearing wig or what they call attachment (fake hair), but it wasn't normal for me to see a Muslimah going out without scarf, wearing a short dress. I had never seen! She shocked me when she said she was going out to meet her dad, in her tiny night dress. I learned her name is Rabi'ah and she is Nigerian and Igbo (a tribe). Rose came in, they hugged and Rabi'ah opened her mouth, I think Allah was punishing me for not thanking Him when He gave me Rose because when Rabi'ah started talking, Rose forgot that she had a mouth for more than 30 minutes. I am not exaggerating. Rabi'ah can talk for an hour without asking if you understand or are following. Her first night I woke her up for prayer and she refused to wake up, zuhr time I told her to go and pray and she refused. Then I stopped trying