MARYAM

I caught myself thinking about that person consciously and subconsciously. He can't just be roaming about with sad face and tears whenever I see him. He's sad and helpless. They say 'boys don't cry' though that's bull but he can't be crying all the time if something is not disturbing him. Allah knows what's wrong with him but I want to know. Maybe I can help or maybe not but I am really curious. I am not in the place to poke my nose in his life but he's a brother and we all feel for each other. There are brothers in Somalia suffering from hunger and you are here worrying about some wealthy kid. A voice in my head says. 'My prayers Allah knows are with them and they are far from me. But this brother is near and I keep bumping into him like destiny is telling me to help him. I can't just stay and not do anything!' I replied to the voice like it was someone talking to me. Now I am mad at myself. The next time I see him, we are going to have a long talk bi'ithnillah (if Allah wills).
I decided to visit the garden just to bump into him but instead, I bumped into Imran. "Salam alaikum Imran. What are you doing here 'alone'?" I said, trying to find Abdullah's whereabouts. "Wa'laikumussalam, I am disturbed Maryam." he said and I looked at him in shock with an open mouth. Actually I didn't open my mouth physically but inside, my mouth is touching the ground because of how shocked I am. Today the great Imran is being nice and opening up to me. And Imran the great continued "There is this person in my life that motivates me and increases me in my faith. I go to him whenever something happens and he solves my problem. But today, that person is breaking down and I cannot do anything. He's weak today and I am no poet to console him even if it's with words." Imran confessed without me trying. He looks so sad and was almost in tears. "I don't know who to console you or your partner but I know whatever you people find yourselves in, it is a trial from your Lord. He is testing you to see how deep you love that person and to what extent you can go for him. As for your friend, Allah is testing his Iman(faith). We can't just say we believe without Allah testing us. People before us were tested. The great prophets were tested, who are we not to be? It is hard but you people are going to do just fine." I looked at him to check if the nice face is still intact and continued "I am sure this is not the first time you are facing a trial, so like you dealt with the previous ones, this too you shall deal with it and it shall pass. You are stronger than this. I know that, so calm down and get up. Deal with it. I will pray for you." Imran turned to me and said "Maryam you talked as if you have memorised what to say when people come with a problem, like you are waiting for me." He caught my gaze. Of course I am waiting for one of you to talk about the problem with Abdallah. I said in my mind. He continued "Maryam you just said what I needed to hear, InshaAllah we are going to do just fine. Jazakillah khairan. I need to leave" he said "Yeah me too" I almost closed my mouth with my hands "But you just came in" he was surprised "Maybe I did what I came to do" I replied and squinted my eyes due to the rising sun "I'm sorry this is irrelevant but Maryam do you wear contact lenses? Your eyes change colour...I'm sorry I am just wondering if technology has advanced so much that they produce lenses that change colour." Hmmm I guess the nice Imran has left. How dare he, this guy is so raw. He doesn't feel anything asking stuff like this. I made a long face and replied "I wear no lenses" and smiled. "What about the golden tooth? Is that also your real tooth?" Meanie is also here and annoying Imran. Maybe he has jinns. Bad jinns. "No. It's just like a revert's tattoo, I regret putting it; though it's not haram but cannot do anything about it." This time I was fuming with anger.  I hate my golden tooth so much but cannot remove it because the tooth under has been destroyed, the guy sharpened it so much until it almost disappeared then inserted the golden tooth on top. I wore it when I went for my 1st hajj, about 6 years ago. I was young and foolish. I don't even know why Nigerians like wearing it, we believe it signifies 'I have gone for hajj' but somebody needs to tell us 'Allah knows you did so no need for a proof.' "Okay...I'd tell grandma I saw you." he left. I even forget about my golden tooth but this guy noticed and even talked about it. How can someone have a real golden tooth, maybe that only happens in Jannah. How can he be like this? Minutes ago he was almost in tears and vulnerable now he's all mean. Maybe he has the blood of royalty. I am sure his friend is not like that. He's a nice, warm guy. I presume. That's none of my business though. Abdallah needs a partner to keep him happy, Imran is not enough. Abdallah is like a bitter black coffee which needs sugar and creamer. Imran is the creamer but coffee is not nice without sugar. Abdallah needs sugar in his life and I am a sweet girl. Astagfirullah I need a tape on my mouth.
Alhamdulillah I know even though I didn't get to talk with Abdallah, Imran is going to deliver my message just fine. Maybe if I meet Abdallah I'd even stammer but with Imran I am very free. Allah just granted my wish. I need to grab something for Rabi'ah, today is her birthday but I don't know what to get her. I hate birthday celebrations that's why none of my friends know the date I was born, they just know its August. I hate it when people post my pictures and write 'happy birthday Maryam. I love you...' Celebrating birthdays is just like telling people 'hey I am getting old and losing my beauty and I love it.' Alhamdulillah age is gift but we can just fast and thank Allah not abuse it by partying. The only reason I am getting gift for Rabi'ah is because birthdays mean so much to her. If Rabi'ah turns 16 on Friday, she'll start talking about her next birthday on Saturday. I don't know if its haram but I see no wrong in giving her gift and wishing her but I do not wish other people and I do not like it when people wish me. If Zahra hears I am getting gift for someone's birthday, she's going to scold me so I need to go alone because she will never understand my reason.