MARYAM

"Mum I am fine. Dad please explain to her." I cried "You are fine? By leaving at his friend's house? They have already started hiding you. Look I don't want any story, you are leaving with me to Nigeria. And that's final." she scolded "Mama I have to wait at least two weeks for my visa to get cancelled. But its fine Mama, you don't want me to be with Abdallah? Fine, but let me tell you; there's no one that would love me like he does. He risked everything to win my love. He fought with everyone. He cried. Mama he is religious, that's all I want. And he loves me for the sake of Allah...mama don't make the mistake of making something that Allah made halal haram. The prophet said corruption is going to spread if you refuse your children to marry someone with good deen..." I paused because I shocked myself. I never go against my parents. I always obey them and not question them. But today, I am even quoting a hadith. Love is a crazy thing. I continued "Mama he is a good person, but if you say no, I am not going to be with Abdallah. I am going to obey you!" before I could finish talking, mum was already calm "Don't make me the bad person here Maryam, his deen and his love for you is not enough. He has too much baggage. I am afraid you are not strong enough to help him with it. You were raised simply. In a tiny house with few rules. He was raised as a prince with so many restrictions. I'm afraid darling, you two are not compatible. I'll extend my ticket and wait for you, I can't go and leave you here. Your dad can go." she made up her mind.
Imran told me what Abdallah did. I cried so much. Mum met me crying but I refused to tell her. I don't want her to feel bad. Abdallah called to meet me and mum said I should end it all today. I said we should meet at the garden where it all started. We met 11pm and the guard suggested we leave. I begged him and said "Today is the last time anyway. Just one hour please." he smiled and said "1 hour". Abdallah was confused and started talking before I could tell him my decision. "Dad is ill Maryam, he is stepping down. Maryam it was never good between me and my dad but I am afraid if he leaves I'll lose it all. Aunt Maryam left me and took a part of me, now I have little and dad is also taking a part. This life is unpredictable, I might die before him but..." he sniffed and looked upwards to prevent the tears from falling "I'm so sorry. But we shouldn't lose hope. You said life is unpredictable so only Allah knows when someone is going to die, not some facts or doctors. May Allah make it easy for him and grant him shifa." I consoled him "Maryam I need you. Please don't leave me, you people are all I have now. The whole of Dubai is against us. There's also another thing. The council told me to drop the crown and leave...with you. Like exile you know...that doesn't have a termination. I agreed. Maryam let's leave, you know your plan of living a simple life; well behaved kids, a home high on deen? Let me fulfil that dream. Give me a chance. Let's leave everything behind and live in Saudi or Egypt or Sudan or UK. Anywhere you want." his face was drenched in tears "What is happening to you? You are losing everything, why are you doing this to yourself? I asked him with a sad "I am just loving you Maryam, there's no wrong in it. I swear. People labelled it wrong and not the shari'ah, so please" he looked at me with sad eyes "Your dad is ill Abdallah, he needs you. The people need you, your mum does. Don't choose me over family. Don't leave everything behind. If I were in your place, I wouldn't do that. Abdallah I can't leave my family for you or anyone. I know your family is complicated, but they are still family. I didn't come into your life to take away everything from you, I want to give you everything and fix things." I told him with a wet face "You can't fix everything Maryam. You cannot fix anything because they are not willing to. They don't like you. They don't like us. They told me to leave Maryam, they don't need me." he explained with broken feelings "Abdallah...mum is waiting for me to leave with her to Nigeria...Abdallah mum said no..." I said wiping the tears with my hands "I'm sorry...I am giving up. Abdallah we tried...but it's difficult and...impossible. I am tired Abdul and can't go against mum. I am leaving with her...I am leaving you. I can't do it anymore. I have failed and the society wins. Please don't tell me to stay, let me go. Forgive me and let go. Don't call or text me. Erase me...please" I said looking at him while tears rolled down my cheeks. "That's it then? The end?" he paused and looked at me, I shifted my gaze. He came closer like he was going to touch me and I moved away. He smiled and said "I am not going to touch unlawfully Maryam, relax." I felt a bit embarrassed. Why should I feel embarrassed? I was just protecting myself. From Abdallah? You know he can never harm you. Oh please I know but you know shaitaan gets to us when we are vulnerable... He just stood looking at me and I could feel him making up his mind "I wish my parents mean this much to me. But it's not my fault right? I tried loving them, being with them. But they pushed me away. I won't be held responsible right?" he asked "Allah is the most forgiven most merciful. He doesn't do injustice to anybody. But Abdallah, there's still time. Fix it; Fix your relationship with them. Please...for me" I pleaded and he just smiled and looked away. "So I guess ours was not written. Maryam is leaving me. I never thought we'd part but I guess Allah has better plans for us. We've gone this far but...." he moved his gaze from me and continued "Thank you Maryam. Thank you for coming into my life. For listening to me, for loving me and for trying. Thank you. No matter what, I'm glad and I'd look back and remember that I loved a Maryam like a majnun (mad man). She changed my life and taught me how to love." he said with tears in his eyes and hand on his mouth. While I stood and allowed tears to wet my hijab. I guess this was the decision he was making in his mind earlier; To let me go.
I came running and met mum with Zahra. "Mama shikenan (that's it). I have ended it with Abdallah and now he's alone. Mum you know his dad is ill and might die soon. Abdallah is taking over the throne very soon and it is too much for him. Mama he is helpless and doesn't have any Maryam with him. Mum take me away, I can't stay here anymore. I want his memory to be erased; it hurts so much, I want it all to stop." I cried on her laps while Zahra left to room (to cry obviously). "Ohhh my baby I'm so sorry; mum can't give you what you want. I am so sorry I can't even take away the pain that I caused. I'm so sorry Maryam." she hugged me and cried with me.