MARYAM

"I can't go back for graduation dad. I don't want to ever go back to Dubai please." I pleaded "What about your certificate?" mum asked "Zahra is going, she'll get them." I said and mum shook her head. "Make sure you call your granddad when you board if not, you'll walk to Asokoro." Dad said "Not walk dad, use a cab." I shook my head. I feel so good coming back to Nigeria. And Dubai...Dubai feels like a dream, sometimes I ask myself 'Was I even there?' Dubai has nothing in common with Nigeria. Zahra lives in Jos, Rabia in Lagos, Rose in the south; so there's nothing with me that reminds me of Dubai. I felt like that door has been shut and I felt good. I graduated with a 1st class and now I am going to Ministry of Foreign Affairs for a job interview in Abuja. Allah answered my prayer and I feel happy, I just pray that I get the job without having to pay 2 million or more (that won't happen with me obviously). I called Zahra to come to Abuja and give me emotional support, she refused but promised to be in sujud the whole time I would be on the hot seat. I agreed because I need that more than her presence.
I landed at Nnamdi Azikwe International Airport and met my grandad at the exists with open hands, I ran and disappeared into them. My granddad was a minister for 8 years and now he is jobless and rich (of course). That's how it is in Nigeria—win a political post for 2 weeks and you are automatically rich forever; now he is living in Asokoro with his two wives; each of them has her house, cars and drivers. And he is neighbouring the former vice president's house and an empty house worth 1.5billion Naira for sale. He has so many connections and that's how he got me a job at Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Abuja. I called Zahra and told her I got the job and everybody congratulated me. Now mum wants me to marry a boy named Sheriff or Saif, I am not sure. He is 25 and works at Central Bank of Nigeria. He's a nice person and does all what an average Muslim in Nigeria does. He likes and respects me but he has this mentality that I hate. He told me "I never wanted my wife to work, I want her to stay at home and be the princess she is" I almost accepted his proposal but then he added "and another problem is the way women behave with men in offices. You'll see a married woman talking and laughing with another married man and you'll think they are a couple because of how close they are. I hate that about women that work. But you, I can't tell you to quit because, you are already got the job and MashaAllah you are religious." He was smiling and feeling like he was doing me a favour. I respect him a lot but then I couldn't hold it. "Wowh, so women, no "married women" do all sort of stuff with men at work and you blame the woman? Who is the woman doing the 'thing' with? Her fellow sister? No, a brother! And you don't blame him, why? I can swear that 80% of women involved in this were approached by the man 1st. Men take the initiative, be it in Bollywood, Hollywood or offices. Of course sometimes women do it but just 1% maybe, not even 2%." My maths IQ has increased. I said looking at him with disgust "No no I don't mean that" he tried to save himself "That's exactly what you mean" I cut him off and told myself sabr ya ukhti (patience oh sister). "What I mean is, women are precious so they are not supposed to indulge in that, if a man approaches her...she should ward him off." he made his point "But all you say is women are to be blamed. That's wrong, maybe when you start blaming the man, the rate of haram relationships might reduce." I said and smiled, he didn't smile back. I complained to mum about him and she said all men are misogynists. I told Zahra and she said I shouldn't even think of accepting him. I saw that coming from her. Zahra is younger than me but when she speaks, you would swear she is 5 years older than me.
I bumped into some crap on the internet and saw Abdallah's lavish engagement with the most beautiful woman on earth (My opinion. She's so beautiful MashaAllah). I am happy for him that she's a hijabi (one that covers). I saw Imran in the pics and the dad together. I guess things have improved. I feel so good about Abdallah's happy ending. "Will I ever get one?" I asked and looked at the sky.