ABDALLAH

"I don't know what Maryam told your dad but she really moved him. He was asking me questions and I could see for the first time he feels guilty for not raising you— for neglecting you and blaming you. She did something I couldn't do for 30 years. I couldn't face your dad, I couldn't tell him you are not to be blamed. I couldn't show you love. I just loved Mahmood selfishly and she's right, we ruined Mahmood." Mum said with tears in her eyes. "Why won't he leave her alone?" I said in a serious tone "I guess her charm has started working on dad. That's ma gurl." I laughed Tell me what dad said" I resumed my serious face "You know Ibrahim can never accept he's at fault. So he was just fuming and bluffing. He was telling me their conversation indirectly, by blaming her and her guts. He said a line that caught my attention he said "Aisha is it my fault because I didn't call Abdallah when he was away? Am I the one that is supposed to call?" he looked so sad when he was talking and for the first time, he blames himself, Abdallah your dad was almost in tears. I know if it wasn't Maryam that opened his eyes, he would've cried, but he won't because he can't let her win. All of you guys are not raised well; you cannot accept a fault especially if it's not from someone superior to you." She kissed her teeth continuously and shook her head. "I want to meet her" she concluded.
I called Imran to my house because I don't want to face Maryam. "Imran, I'm gonna fight with my dad, my mum is going to cry, Maryam is going to face so many things and I cannot protect her this time. Hold unto to Maryam, hide her for me. Protect her from the media and dad. I am going to face the world today. I am going to confess my feelings for her to the world. She might stop me that's why I didn't go to your house. Cheer for me, pray for me and tell her to the same. The only thing Imran said was "You are going to do just fine." and left. I wish I could talk to Maryam, face her, get some strength from her but I couldn't. I went to that place I hate the most again and called the media, because that is the only place dad can't reach/distract me.
"I found a woman that I love and we are getting married soon InshaAllah. I want the people of Dubai to support me and cheer for me, love her as they love me and I want your blessing" so many questions were thrown at me after I confessed but I decided to answer one "She's no princess, she's an ordinary woman. She is religious and wonderful and to me and that is what matters." They asked another one again "Her family is unknown to you people because she's not from here" I said and everyone was curious no know where she came from "She's Nigerian" I paused for the crowd to stop murmuring "she's not the president's daughter or some king's daughter. Her father is an ordinary man. To me, I repeat, all these things don't matter. It is not compulsory for me to marry a princess or the president's daughter. I am human just like you, I can marry whoever I want." I said and the noise just increased and I managed to answer another one "We met in Dubai. Her name is Maryam ---Yes she's young, she's 23. She schools here —No I can't tell her school; she's even done." I left. After I finished I saw dad's and mum's missed calls.
I decided to go to Maryam before facing my parents. Imran told me her parents came. I was excited. I told Imran to take me to them instead, before seeing Maryam. "Assalamu alaikum" I said in a polite voice. I saw where Maryam got her eyes. The lady answered but didn't smile. Another step mother. The dad smiled and asked how I fared. The meeting was so awkward and her mum decided to say her mind "So you are the Abdallah that wants to ruin my daughter's life." I felt a stab in my chest. I didn't say anything and the man told her to relax. "Abdallah, we are ordinary people. We live simple lives. You getting involved with our daughter is just going to complicate things. Maryam means everything to us. Her happiness is our goal—I want Maryam to get married to a simple religious man, have kids and live happily ever after, not marry a prince and get hidden in the underground of some unknown place. You know right your dad won't allow you be with Maryam and the Emiratis too. The only reason why you want Maryam is because you weren't raised here, because you people don't marry black women." He said in a calm voice. The lady was just giving him a bad look and kissing her teeth. "Mustafa, why are you trying to explain things. This boy is not 5 years old. He knows the consequences but he's so stubborn. That's how these princes are." She turned to me and said "Look your highness, we don't want Maryam to be with you. We can't give you Maryam. That's it." I decided to act crazy, I went on my knees and said "Maryam means the world to me, I cannot live without her." I didn't mean to but the tears just came "No no please I am sorry, I didn't mean to." She turned all soft. The dad just laughed. She left us two. "That's how Asma is, she can't see someone cry. She's not a bad person, Abdallah she just loves her daughter so much and she doesn't want her to suffer. Asma has suffered in my hands. She lived a tough life before I realised my mistake that's why she doesn't want her daughter to go through the same. Asma has the fear of abandonment, she's afraid you'd leave Maryam at some point, wounded and broken. Because that was what she went through." He said with moist eyes. "What might convince Asma is if you prove how much you love her daughter and what you are willing to sacrifice to be with her." He concluded.
I decided to face dad. On his desk I saw so many newspapers with cartoon of my face and a black girl. Dad came out and he was calm, he told me to meet the council myself. I met them and they asked about the stunt I pulled. "What you want to do is not acceptable in this kingdom. You have to marry a princess or someone from your family, she must have the blood of royalty." One of them said "What if I don't want to marry a princess or anyone you want me to marry? I want to marry Maryam because she means everything to me and to me, ruling is not my ultimate goal. A happy family is. My dad married a princess, is he happy? Are we happy; the kids? Do we even love each other? No, I don't want that. I want a happy family." I said to them "Happiness is not everything, your crown is..." one of them started talking and I cut him off "No, my happiness is better than my crown, my crown is the least thing I worry about." I said and looked at him "what about the people of Dubai, you don't care about them? You don't care about what they want?" Some one asked and before I could answer, someone added "Your dad is ill, you would soon take over and you are acting this way? Fine, there's only one way. Take off the crown and leave with your...Laila" They all nodded their heads in agreement.
"Mum, dad is ill? I would soon take over? What does that mean? Tell me mum!" I shouted. She closed her eyes and buried her face in her palms. "The doctor that you used to see coming out from my chambers is your dad's. He is ill and I think he is thinking of stepping down. I don't know why they told you but I guess they had no option because you are being stubborn." She started talking with calmness but finished with anger "Mum what is wrong with him. It must be something deadly since he's thinking of stepping down. Don't tell me it is cancer" I broke into tears and got a seat "It's not cancer, his kidneys got infected and it's a long story." she said in a low voice "He can get implants mum" I said quickly "He can't. It's complicated. And Abdallah please don't break down. And don't go away this time. Make peace with your dad, he needs you." she looked at me with wet eyes.