ABDALLAH

I saw her and it feels good. But she...she just cried and looked around. She didn't say anything, she just stared. I felt like asking her how much she cried when she left or how much she misses me but instead I asked if she was married. She laughed in her tears and replied in the negative. It feels so good; the answer and the laugh. Maryam though in pain, still looks the same---beautiful, modest, pure and dignified. And those eyes...they added a new colour, colour green. Maybe it's because of the trees.
I asked Zahra to take me to Maryam's family and she took me to her grandad; my neighbour. I met him and he was acting cold. I thought stepmoms were over. After asking Zahra so many questions, he gave me a hug. I asked Zahra what he asked her and she said he asked her what I am willing give, but Zahra said she told him what I sacrificed instead. I just shook my head. The whole time Maryam was oblivious about what brought me. I called her the same night and told her everything. She asked what if the Emiratis reject her? Again? And she asks what if her mum declines? Again? I told her "We'll fight" and she said "You haven't changed" and smiled shaking her head.
We went together to her state with Imran and Zahra and I saw that her state is very different from Abuja; no traffic, no hawking on the streets, no, no tall buildings. Just few cars and houses. Her state strangely feels like home. I met her dad and he was nice as always then I met her mum and told her everything. She asked "What if your people are plotting against you?" I said "Samia wouldn't do anything like that, I trust her." I gave her a straight face "See, you trust Samia so you must love her. Why don't you just be with her and leave my daughter alone? I accepted you but that was a long time ago, now that you are married, everything is complicated" she said in a cold tone "I trust Samia and even promised to fulfil my duties but I love Maryam. I cherish her. It is different. I can't leave her. She has dominated everything in me. I NEED Maryam in my life. God put Maryam in my life. I can't let her be. Please mother...let me be with Maryam" I pleaded with folded hands and she sighed loudly. Maryam came to her and did as I did. "Mama ya isa (it's enough). Please...let me be with Abdallah. Mum we've done everything but still Allah brought us together. Mama I love him...so much" Maryam looked down to avoid looking at her mum "Can't you see that he's married?" the mum retorted "Mama he needs to get married to be with me. That's the twist in our relationship." Maryam explained to her. The mum sighed and rubbed her face with her right hand. "Fine. You guys can do whatever you want. May Allah make it easy for you. Maryam I need to speak with Abdallah." The mum finally accepted me. "Abdallah, I don't hate you. I just love Maryam so much and don't want anything to make her miserable. You are so complicated and too much for her. Yet, I obliged. Please nothing should happen to my baby. Don't make her sad, don't hurt her...Abdallah don't leave her. I've never seen Maryam love anything like she loves you and that's the only reason I am giving you a yes. Please Abdallah..." she held my hands and caught my gaze "I am giving Maryam to you as amanah(trust). Protect her, love her and always be with her." She was almost in tears, she then cleared her voice and added "I might not be anything compared to your dad or you, but trust me if you hurt my daughter, I can go to any extent to make you miserable. I promise you." She warned. Her eyes turned the eyes of a falcon and I just smiled because she reminded me of Maryam. "You are smiling? You don't know the power of a mother until you touch her eggs." she teased, but I could feel her warning combined.
The family made a low key arrangement and I married Maryam. My mum surprisingly attended; the only person from Al Gemzi's family. I asked her what convinced her to come and she said "For the first I want to do what mothers do, make their kids happy. If Maryam was alive she would have attended, so why not me. I'm sorry for acting like a mother very late and hope that you forgive me and accept me." I just hugged her because I had no words for her. The dad refused to expose my identity so no one apart from their nuclear family knows who I am and that makes everything simple and beautiful. Maryam was taken to the house I rented and later bought it for her as her wedding gift. Though the house is big but Imran left and booked a hotel room to let us enjoy. It feels so awkward living with a girl in the same room. With Samia, we've never shared a room and I never felt I was married until today that I am in the same room with the love of my life. After few minutes of silence, Maryam asked if I wanted coffee. I told her we should sleep instead of taking coffee. She said we should take coffee and talk till dawn. I loved the idea so I obliged. Maryam made us the most beautiful coffee in the world. "I've never tasted coffee so good" I said "Come on don't flatter me" she rolled her eyes
"I'm telling the truth. Your hands have magic" I teased
"I thought you are the innocent type. You boys..." She shook her head
"I am"
"You ain't"
"Fine then let me show you how corrupt I am" I stood to followed her and she ran away.
She ran to the other room and locked the door. "You promised to never leave me" I shouted. "Did I?" she asked "Yes, in the contract" I said. She opened the door and I went in. She kept stepping back and I followed her until she reached the wall and rested on it. We've never been that close and I felt shy. I wanted to act like a man, but my shyness would not let me. Later my 'machoness' won. I used my right hand to raise her face and meet my gaze but she refused to raise her eyes. "Maryam" I called and she looked at me. Her eyes turned black, very dark and beautiful. For minutes I was lost in her eyes and I could feel them smile at me. She later pushed me away and left the room. I followed her like a fool and she told me she's hungry. I made pasta and we ate. She washed the plates while I arranged them on the plate carriage. "I want us to be like this forever; Partners. I want us to help each other in everything and be together forever." I said to her and held her hand for the first time. "You are warm blooded." I said, surprised. She just smiled and didn't look at me. "I never thought you are this shy. I thought you are this bold...courageous girl." I said and she just smiled "wow Maryam, you won't say a word?" I asked "It's almost subh, lets pray tahajjud before it's too late" was all she said. I just stood in shock. We made ablution and instead of staying at my back, she stood by my side and I asked her "Why not my back?" she told me about a woman that asked the Prophet(saw) that she wanted to stay beside her husband when he's leading prayer and the prophet(saw) told her she is free to do that. I went close to her, took her face in my hands, looked her in eyes and kissed her on her forehead. She blushed and looked down.When we finished I asked what she asked Allah to grant her.  "I asked Allah to give you the same thing you asked for me." She said and smiled. I just love her, too much. After we finished, the real show started; sleeping on the same bed. She told me she was going to another room and I told her I won't bite. "Please, let's sleep together. I don't mind if you snore. Just be by my side...forever." I said and she threw me a pillow. Before I knew it, I was deep asleep.