Maryam

"You scared me" I said to Zahra when I met her in my bed. "Where have you been darling? I was disturbed. Have you eaten? We can order or I can cook. Your beautiful eyes are swollen." She said concerned. I sat on the bed next to her. "It's okay to cry Maryam but don't just leave. You should have at least told me." She consoled me. It's already three days since my little brother left the world but I could only cry today. I took three days to absorb everything and realised that I have lost him forever. He was the sweetest child I have known in my life. He made me smile and loved me. He taught me life can be beautiful even though there are struggles and bad people. Hameed had down syndrome but he was the happiest in my house. He made everybody laugh, he loved and helped everyone the way he does momma. He once took his photo and put next to mine and said "Aunty Jaji and Hameed will always be together." I guess Allah had better plans for me and Hameed. He was just 13, I adored him but he perished. Zahra cooked quinoa and we took tea afterwards. It's Friday so Rose and Rabi'ah were as usual out with their friends. I vacated to Fatima's room for the night since her roommate was also out. "Where did you go earlier? I have checked all the rooms you frequent." Zahra asked. "Just out, I was nearby. I went to this garden across the road. It's dark and quite so I needed it." I smiled.
I took 2 days off from work and resumed afterwards. I told my boss what happened and everyone prayed for Hameed and my wellbeing. The people in my office are nice and I love them, but with my dissertation coming up I started to get stressed and my schedule got tighter. I started having thoughts of leaving the job and just do what took me to Dubai.  Before I knew it 1st semester was over and I was done with my project proposal. The temperature kept going down and my office journey became really hectic.
It was 6am and really cold, I decided to branch at the Mall of the Emirates and get a sweater. I think I was the 1st customer to enter the Mall. I got a nice one and paid 150aed for it. I was at the Mall exit when I bumped into someone. Outside was so bright, I guess I spent like an hour looking for something I like. I gazed into the light and the figure in front of me almost fainted. I could see how scared he was. I apologised but he didn't move or blink. He stood on my way and kept staring. I lowered my gaze and looked up again. I guess he's Arab in his early thirties but I am damn sure I wasn't the 1st black person he has ever seen. Wallahi this guy didn't move nor moved his gaze. I was so frustrated and turned back into the mall until the brightness from the door disappeared. This weirdo followed me and stood in front of me. When I looked up, he opened his eyes so wide and froze again. I am sure I don't look like any international actress or Arab girl(his ex or girlfriend or late aunt or whatever) because I am black. I looked from all sides and could only see few security men. Wallahi I ran away. I exited the mall and took my 1st taxi to office. Usually I take bus and train but I'll reach really early today. In the taxi I just busted into laughter. The guy's scary but he's really funny, I wished I asked him who I resembled, maybe I looked like his ancestor or girlfriend, or even Beyoncé. I would have pretended and gave him an autograph. I regretted leaving without asking what was wrong. I came back and told Zahra what happened and she said maybe I was his 'dream come true'. I laughed and said "or maybe I was his nightmare". Rabi'ah asked if he was hot but I couldn't remember, all I could recall was his sweatpants and Nike shoes. I'm sure he's Emirati, he looked like one.
I changed my room and moved in with an Emirati girl, a very nice girl that covers completely. My first day at fajr I woke her up to pray but she refused, at zuhr I saw her pray but at asr she refused, at maghrib she refused also, and isha she prayed. Some days she prays and some she doesn't. I talked to her but to no avail, I even tried waking her but she never woke up. In Nigeria, the first thing that Muslims do is pray, they lie, they cheat, they commit adultery, they steal, they even kill but they pray. But in other countries its different, when someone prays, the person has reached the peak of Iman(faith). I focused on praying for her and minding my own business.
We decided to send Ahmad letters anonymously. Every Friday I would write a short poem while Zahra edits. Sometimes we give security guy, sometimes we give other boys that do not know us. It went on for about a month and everyday my love for him increased. We decided to tell him. Few hours to our mission I met him in the bus, our eyes met and he smiled. I believed it was a good sign and told Zahra, she said I should do Istikhara, while she prepares to tell him.