ABDALLAH

"Abdallah" she said as she came in "Mum, what brought you here? I would have come to you. Please sit" I ushered her so to sit beside me. "Abdallah did you meet with that girl erm Maryam, these days?" she looked disturbed and asked in a low tone "No, what happened?" I just kept on looking at her "I'm worried son, I think Ibrahim met her" I wanted to talk but paused to hear the whole thing "I don't know son, I am just worried. You know your dad, he's not nice. Right now, he knows everything about her. Abdallah if erm you know what happens when Ibrahim casts his eyes on something – he gets what he wants. I don't want that girl's life to be difficult. And yours too. You've gone through a lot with your dad, isn't it enough? Are you not tired?" she looked at me with sad eyes. "Mahmah I need to go" I stood to leave but she caught my hand "Don't go to your dad, when the oil is hot, you don't put water in it to cool down, you wait for it." I don't care if my dad is oil or water, I just need to meet him right now. I snatched my hand from her. She stood in my way "He didn't do anything to her, yet. She's fine. Abdallah, if I choose to support you, then what?" she laughed and continued "You must have cast a spell on me with your night prayers. I never thought I would even imagine helping you in this." She returned her serious face "Then what son? Then you marry her while your dad and the whole of Dubai just watch? Hmm that only happens in books and films. Though I'd never seen a black Cinderella and Arabian prince charming. What do you want Abdallah? I'm all you have now, you know that, I can't accept all your crazy but maybe I can help in some way. Leave Maryam and I'll find you whatever and whoever you want. Tell me." She offered "This is what you people don't get, Maryam is what and all I want. She is THAT THING that I want, that thing everybody wants to offer. That thing is Maryam. Don't you get it?" I shouted in my American accent that I thought was long gone.
"Father, whatever you have against me should be between us. Don't ever go to her again. She is innocent, I loved her, burdened her. Please father, I beg you." I pleaded in British accent. Imran tells me whenever I am mad, I talk American and whenever I need something, I plead in British. So it's true. "I thought she's some beautiful swan. She's so ordinary son. Or is it those eyes that lured you?"  he looked so calm and didn't even raise his face to look at me. "No dad, her beauty is beyond those eyes. It is deeper than that. You won't understand." He got serious and raised his voice "I don't know what you developed by living overseas but I am very sure you are not mad. Here, we don't do that. A prince marries a princess. A pauper marries a pauper. What you are thinking of doing is not possible and real. It is infatuation, we don't accept that." he scolded "What I am doing might be out of your world but it is not against my deen(faith), so I see no wrong in it and I am doing it. You set your rules, you follow your rules." I looked at him in the eyes. I hate arguing with my parents. I don't even like getting mad at them. I feel so bad shouting at him. Allah is testing me, and by behaving like this towards my parents, I am making a big mistake and sinning. I feel so bad for myself. Maybe if the girl my parents are offering is religious, I would have sacrificed and receive Allah's reward. But whatever princess they brought is out of my liking. I couldn't even give some of them a second look because of how haram they look. Some girls think exposing their beauty makes boys like them, that's foolish. I need to hear from Maryam, it's been long. I decided to ring her.
"salam alaikum...Maryam"
"wa'alaikumussalam wa rahmatullah. How are you?"
"I am fine...errm you?"
"Fine alhamdulillah"
Oh my God what should I say? I am not the shy type. What is wrong with me ya Allahhh. "I just called. I mean I just called to ermm how's Fatima no sorry Maryam no no Zahra. Yeah how's Zarah?" I stammered and shook my while talking. Alhamdulillah she couldn't see me. "Zahra is fine. How's Imran?" she sounded so normal and she's the girl while me; the boy, is acting so stupid. "Imran is good, stunning" stunning is not the word Abdallah. Control. I almost shouted while answering her question. "I just called to errm" ya Allah give me the words "I called to...erhhh" subhanallahhh "Bye Maryam. salam alaikum." She replied and I heard her giggle. Damn it! Why didn't I ask how she was, how she's feeling, what dad said to her? Why didn't I tell her not to worry about dad and his threats, why didn't I tell her I'd take care of her and protect her from everybody, why why why? I hit my head with my both hands. So she won't talk to me about dad and what they discussed. Why? Maybe she doesn't want to me get disturbed or maybe she's leaving me so talking about my dad's threats is a waste of time to her? No she loves me and she's not the type that would give up.