Chapter 7, Slumber Party

"Daniel, why are you crying?" the room was dark, all I could see was a glow far away from me as a voice echoed. I didn't know if I should answer it.

"Umm... I don't know where my mommy is." I answered. I was only 2 at the time, the world was only a few meters long to me at the time, and I didn't know which meter my mommy was in.

"I don't know if she's ever coming back..." I coughed out, another tear fell down my face. A hand emerged from the shadowy room in front of me. It had long fingers, they skimmed my cheek. The touch was cold, but it wiped my tears.

"Don't hide what makes you feel pain, let it hurt you..." it whispered. Another tear fell from my blue eyes, I sniffed and the hand disappeared. I saw the glow of the eyes across the room move closer to me, I didn't move, I just watched them, I was paralyzed in my spot, it felt like my feet were glued to the ground.

"It's ok Daniel, even if your mom doesn't come back, I will be here for you, always here." the voice was deeper now, louder, closer. I shivered but I wasn't cold.

"Who are you?" I asked, a simple enough question, however, I got an answer I wasn't sure about.

"I am Zeemuug. I am God. I am the one and only." ...

My eyes shot open, sweat was forming on my brow line. I hated having dreams of my past, I always felt unsafe after, and as if I was being watched. I knew I shouldn't have went to sleep so early, but David said that we needed to be ready for tomorrow's "day of fun". David was a very energetic and happy go lucky person, it was a little exhausting, but he made me feel like I was worth something. I turned to the alarm clock sitting on the end table beside Gwen's bed. I had switched over to this one because Gwen had left and David reclaimed his spot in his own bed. Now that I thought of it, I liked the smell of his bed. It spelt like pine cones. The clock read 9:00pm. I rolled my eyes, it was so early. My body wasn't designed to sleep until well past midnight. I picked my phone off the ground and unlocked it with a swift flick. Every time I tried to load an app, it stopped half way and told me to check my connection. I tossed and turned in the bed, it smelled like cheap perfume and the pillow smelled like foundation. I tried to go to sleep again, but nothing was working. I didn't want to go back to sleep after the dream I just had. It made me feel empty, and afraid. I decided to see if I could wake up David, maybe talk to him more.

"Hey David!" I whispered yelled it so it wasn't that loud. I wasn't expecting David to answer me but he did and it made me jump slightly.

"What? You're awake?" I asked him, I saw him nod from his bed.

"Yup! I only sleep sometimes, most of my nights I lie awake, waiting for tomorrow! I'm just so excited!" David replied. I couldn't see his face but I knew he was smiling.

"Why are you so excited about tomorrow? Is something special happening?" I asked him, he turned to face me, sure enough a smile was on his face.

"Everyday is special at Camp Campbell!" David cheered, I shook my head at him.

"You sound like an advertisement." I told him, he pouted slightly, staring at me with his big green eyes.

"Is that a bad thing?" he asked, I laughed at him and sat up in my bed.

"Yeah it's actually a terrible thing. How am I supposed to get to know the real you if you act all commercial on me, huh?" I asked him, he sat up too, his green onesie was tangled slightly around his waist.

"I'm sure we'll have plenty of time to get to know each other Daniel! In fact I think that if neither of us are going to sleep then we mine as well talk until we feel tired." David playfully suggested. I thought only for a brief moment, and then decided that this was probably the best option for me. I got out of the bed and sat my butt down on David's mattress. He smiled and got into a more comfortable position.