Chapter 20, Pain

(Daniel’s POV)

There shouldn't be a person in your life with so much power that they make you feel physically ill without touching you. Once there is someone like this in your life you have to do everything you can to make sure they are happy and stay with you because you have given them to power to kill you without even going near you. A person shouldn't have this much authority on your life, and yet I let him.

David could kill me with the flick of his fingers without him even knowing he had done so, and when Max handed him my phone, and he stood there flipping through my ascension log, I couldn't do anything but stand in front of him and slowly die as the ring pop I was holding fell out of my hand and onto the grass below my feet.

I wasn't good with making out emotions, but the look on David’s face was indescribable. It was rage, it was sorrow, it was fear, confusion, disbelief, distrust, every negative emotion all at once. His hand started the shake, the light of the phone screen moving side to side as he slowly looked up at me. His lips parted, and his breath came out heavy and shaky.

“You… you monster.” David stammered out, I tried to think of a lie, any lie, anything I could say to get out of this situation, but all my lies were used up and there was nothing I could do but stand there and try to hold back tears even though I wasn't managing to.

“You killed all these people - kids too? All of them dead in some sick fashion… and for what? For who? Simon? ‘Zeemuug’?” David said, stopping at the end and crying, clenching the phone in his hands. I didn't know what to do. All the information about my cult, about Simon, Cameron, all the people I killed the ways I did it it was all sitting on that phone because I had to document it all for Simon. I tried to speak but David screamed back at me in return.

“Tell me it's not fucking true! Please! Tell me Max set you up! Anything!” he shouted, this is when I broke and I started crying too. I wanted to tell him a lie, but put a bandage on the whole thing to stop it from bleeding, but I knew that I had already empty my job of bandages and never let this wound heal leaving me with a bleeding, infected mess that I had to clean up. I just shook my head at him, allowing my tears to flow from my eyes and wherever they please.

“Tell me anything…” David whimpered, he took a breath in, snot pouring out of his nose. I tried to make words but all that came out was sharp breaths.

“I- I- I did it. All of it.” I finally managed, David cried louder and pulled at his hair in frustration. He grit his teeth and pointed at me.

“You sick bastard! Max was right this whole time! Here I was, defending you to the kids when in fact you are a ruthless cultist murderer! You were going to kill all of these kids - all of my kids weren't you? With your poisonous Kool aid! And they would have ended up dead just like all these other people you have written here in your twisted documents!” David roared at me, each syllable a knife in my head. David took another deep but shaky breath.

“And what about us?! I trusted you! I told you everything! I did things with you I would never dream of doing with anyone else! I pictured us getting married before! I pictured us with a family! I pictured us living together until we grew old! I pictured it all! But your a fucking sociopathic killer!” David screamed, his voice straining because of how loud his sentences were coming out. He started to laugh, trying to wipe his tears but there were too many coming down too fast.

“Do you even love me? Or was this all a set up to make me turn my back while you kill my kids? You seduced all these people in here for someone named Cameron, is that what you did to me too? I'm just one of your helpless sluts who you will kill by slitting my throat or shooting me in the mouth?” David asked, this is when I retaliated.