Chapter 18, Boyfriend

(Neil’s POV)

“Nikki I need you to help me wake Max up, I don't care what Daniel has to say we need to get Max out of this trance and take down Daniel!” I shouted to Nikki while we were in our tent. Daniel was long gone and I was starting to sweat. This wasn't supposed to happen, Max was supposed to lead me and Nikki to Daniel demise guns blazing, but now he was obeying Daniel’s every command. There had to be some scientific formula to break him out of his trance but I didn't know it right now and I was too busy freaking out to think of one so I was resulting to just waking Max up and then winging it. Nikki rushed to Max’s side and nudged his shoulder.

“He's out cold, snoring too, I don't know how we will pull him out.” she said, I rushed over beside her and shook Max shouting his name. I kept doing this hoping he would open his eyes but he just kept snoring, eyelids seemingly glued together.

“What are we going to do Neil?” Nikki asked me, I scratched my head.

“I don't know! Max is the one with the plans and he's out for the count I don't know what to do!” I started to freak out, I wasn't good in situations like this - I always needed someone to calm me down but that person was Max and he was passed out. Nikki walked up to him and looked at him as he snored away. She cleared her throat.

“Hey Max, David’s here and he doesn't know how much you appreciate him!” Nikki shouted, as if she said the magic words, Max sprung up from his sleep looking around for David with a huge smile on his face.

“Where is he? I have to tell him I think of him like a father! Same with Daniel!” Max screamed, well, the sentence came out of Max’s mouth but I didn't know who it was. Nikki sat him down on his bed and smack him in the face. Max still sat there with a huge smile on his face.

“Nikki! Stop stalling me I need to see David and Daniel! Especially Daniel, I love Daniel!” he rambled, trying to get out of Nikki’s grasp. I stepped in front of Max and held onto his shoulders. He struggled a bit with me continuing to just go on about how great Daniel was. This wasn't Max, and every time he said another damn word I grew more and more angry at Daniel for doing this to him.

I wanted the old Max back, the one that complained about everything, the one that swore when ever it was possible, the one that hated everyone but me. I liked that Max, that was the Max I stood by, that was the Max who called me his boyfriend. That was my Max. I loathed Daniel for what he did, and I would do anything to get that old Max back.

I slowly turned to see that Nikki was staring at me, I looked at her and she looked really confused.

“Umm… Did you just say boyfriend?” she asked, my face went red. I said that whole thing out loud, and even though Max was still talking Nikki had heard me clear as day. I was beyond embarrassed, however, I got an idea from what Nikki said. Max was my boyfriend, and I was going to remind him about it. I looked at Max, he was still talking. I pressed a kiss against his lips. His eyes shot open and he leaned into me. I pulled off of him and he didn't say anything at first. He felt his jaw and his cheeks and looked at me in confusion.

“What is wrong with my face? Why is my jaw all sore?” he asked, I exhaled. He looked over to Nikki and then tumbled backwards further into his bed.

“Neil what the fuck we decided not to tell Nikki about us because she would tell the whole camp! You just kissed me in front of her!” Max yelled, I smiled. He was back. Nikki crossed her arms.

“Wow guys, glad to know you trust me.” she complained, I laughed a bit and nudged her.

“You know you would have told the whole camp don't even lie.” I said, Nikki though for a second and then agreed with me. I turned back to Max who was still rubbing his jaw.