Chapter 21, Sometimes

“...Daniel? Daniel are you there? It's cold in here… I can't breath…”

(Daniel’s POV)

The lights at the gas station right beside the on ramp for the highway were flickering in the night sky. I had been driving for awhile I silence, the only thing I heard was the sound of gravel under the tires of my car and my own sobbing. Eventually I realized that I would be driving for a long period of time and I would need to fill up my gas tank at least enough to get me on and off the highway I was beside. I turned my car off after parking it in front of the pump, grabbing my wallet and getting out of my car. I didn't bother locking the doors at first, but when I got to the pump a sticker lay right above the nozzle. ‘please pay inside’. I pushed the button for the fuel and then put the pump in my car, filling it with gas. The total was way too much but I had to pay it. I locked my car doors and started towards the dimly lit convenience store attached to the gas station.

I walked inside and the door rang, letting the clerk know there was a customer. She was a younger girl, leaning on the counter, playing with her phone. I opened the cooler on the right side of the store and pulled out a red bull drink, considering I would be driving for hours. I heard a noise, it sounded like footsteps, coming from my left down the aisle. I jolted my head but saw nothing, I could have swore I was the only one in here, but that sounded just like someone walking. I ignored it, brushing the noise off and I bringing it up to the counter.

“This and also the gas from pump 2.” I said, the girl chomped on her bubble gum and pushed some buttons into the cash register. She totalled up my purchase and I tapped my debit card, taking my red bull and walking out the door. I swung my car keys in my hand and hopped into my driver side, placing the keys in the ignition and turning on the car. I didn't realize the car was unlocked when I came back until the lights went on and I felt a knife dart towards my neck and stop right before it sliced. The cold metal making me gasp but not move. I looked in my rear view mirror and saw the person holding the knife and then turned to my side to see another person in the passenger seat, smirking.

“Your car was always the easiest to get into.” the voice from beside me said, the person in the back seat chuckled, keeping the knife steady.

“Cameron, Barry. What the fuck are you doing in my car?” I spat, Cameron just laughed and leaned towards me a bit.

“Got word from Simon some guy was giving you trouble at the camp. Caused you to not be able to carry out the deeds he requested of you.” Cameron spoke, his new yorker accent thick over his words.

“We came down here to help you, but then Simon figured out that the guy you were talking about ain't a threat. No, he a twink like yourself.” Cameron said, Barry laughed loudly from the back, the knife shaking now against my throat.

“Simon’s going to gut him like a fish, eh?” Barry giggled. I froze. They were talking about David. Simon figured out I was lying and then found out who David was? How? I started to heat up, sweat beginning to form on my brow. Had Simon taken David? What was he going to do to him.

“W-wha-what? Si-simon-” I was stammering, not being able to make a sentence. Cameron mocked me.

“W-wha-what the fuck are you saying man? I can't understand you, sounds like you got a dick in your mouth on a count of you being a little bitch.” Cameron spat, Barry roared with laughed, the knife scratching me a bit as he twitched. Cameron cleared his throat and pointed to the road outside of the gas station.

“Start driving to the church. Barry is going to put the knife away but if you do anything that even slightly against my command or his, you’re going to regret it.” Cameron threatened. I didn't say anything as the knife slowly pulled away from my neck. I put the car in drive and started out on the road. I knew the way to the main church like the back of my hand. I hopped on the highway and began the route, it would take about 30 minutes to get there.