Chapter 9, Too Drunk

(Daniel’s POV)

The day went on without incident. Max ignored me for the rest of it, it was peaceful and nice, David spent the rest of the day keeping me and all the kids together, it seemed like the only other person who witnessed me slapping Max was David, none of the other kids brought anything up or even hinted at the situation. Night came around quickly and the kids rushed off to their tents, closing the flaps and velcroing them shut, off to dream and then awake tomorrow for another day of kid friendly fun and hopefully less violence. I went into the counselor's cabin where David was in making his bed and placed my hands on my hips in front of him. He turned to face me and smiled a bit.

“Listen David, you and I both know neither of us our going to sleep tonight, we established that yesterday.” I explained, David laughed nervously but agreed with me. I dug around my pockets for my wallet and opened it up. I had a good 50 dollars in there I figured if I needed more I have my bank card.

“Want to go to a bar?” I asked, David shrugged and rubbed his arm nervously.

“Well I, I'm not much of a drinker.” David replied, I patted his back and started to rummage through my clothes so I could put on something different to go to the bar.

“I didn't ask if you wanted to drink, I asked if you wanted to go to a bar.” I chuckled slightly, “We could just have snacks and chat, we don't have to drink a lot.” I informed David, David seemed flustered at my request - I found a clean white t shirt and a light grey cardigan to throw on top of it along with some light blue jeans. I took them over to the washroom to get changed into them, it was better than my rolled up white pants and white dress shirt I was currently wearing. I quickly changed, and then walked out, spotting David pulling up a different pair of pants, they were jeans.

“Damn it I was too late” I muttered this and instantly regretted it because I meant to say it in my head but for some reason words came out of my mouth.

“What?” David fucking heard me didn't he? He stared at me waiting for me to answer, I was standing like a red faced statue. I gulped and scratched the back of my head.

“I didn't say anything carry on.” I said these words fast as to just move on and pretend I didn't say a word in the first place. David laughed at me and then finished buttoning up his jeans. He was still wearing his camp Campbell green shirt but he took off his yellow bandana from his neck. He looked down at his outfit and then at me.

“I clearly don't go out to bars - am I still fine to just wear this?” he asked, I laughed and nodded at him. I knew there was a bar in town and when I passed by it before to use the bathroom on my way to the camp it didn't seem like a very dressy place. David started towards the door and then I followed him, he stopped mid way through opening the door.

“But wait! Who will watch the kids?!” David worried, I shrugged to him and patted his back.

“There all sleeping - besides do they really need watching? Half of them get into trouble with supervision, us leaving will hardly make a difference and we're just going to be 5 minutes away from here if anything” I explained to David, he looked overly stressed out at the moment and began breathing heavily. I frowned at him and narrowed my eyebrows.

“David - I know I haven't known you for that long but do you want some advice from me?” I asked him, he took a deep breath and then nodded to me.

“Take risks, because you don't want your life to be a string of could've, would've, should've.” I said. I felt a ping of sadness in my own being as I said this. These weren't just words I was telling David because I secretly wanted to get him drunk just to see how he'd act - no, these were words I needed to live by too, from now on. My whole life up until I made the decision to stay here and not kill those kids was filled with ‘ ‘ve’s ‘ and I wanted that to stop.