Chapter 10, Hangover

(David’s POV)

My head was pounding when I awoke in my bed this morning. It felt like something was inside there and trying desperately to get out. The sun was on my face and it was burning my eyes behind my eyelids, when I finally peered through them I winced. I could barely see anything anyways, just blinding sun that made my head hurt more. What the gosh darn happened yesterday? I didn't remember anything. I know Daniel suggested we go to a bar and we did go, but I only had one drink didn't I? There's no way I got so intoxicated I couldn't remember anything, especially because I was still on duty as a camp counselor.

I shifted my body to the side and ended up touching my chest. Where was my shirt? I would have never taken it off to sleep as I always wanted to be fully dressed and prepared for the next day. I thought maybe I just got hot in the night and took it off, but when I started to shift more I noticed my pants were undone a bit. That wasn't normal and there was nothing in my mind that would explain that. I opened my eyes and looked around the room.

No one was in here but me. I dared to look at the clock, it was 9am. Holy moly it was so late! I jumped out of my bed and quickly found my camp clothes, getting undressed as fast as possible and putting on the right clothes just as fast. I rushed out of the cabin and over to the mess hall. Almost instantly I had to slow my pace as my head pounded and the sun beamed on me. I didn't know what to do about this headache, I never felt anything like it before. I must have been getting sick with a cold or something, those are the only times I get headaches like this.

I opened the door to the mess hall and spotted Daniel helping the kids clean up after breakfast. He turned to me along with Max, Neil and Nikki. Daniel smirked at me and chucked and Max’s eyes were wide and confused.

“Good morning sleepy head!” Daniel shouted the words and my entire brain shook. I winced and shut my eyes.

“Uh, Daniel, can we use our inside voices for today please? I think I'm catching a cold.” I replied to him, he laughed and rolled his eyes walking into the kitchen.

“Yup, ok, ‘a cold’ ahah! I'll make you coffee Sleeping Beauty.” Daniel chuckled as he disappeared behind the kitchen door. I sat down at one of the tables and held my head up in my hands, Max came rushing over to me and sat across from me, eyes still wide, Neil and Nikki by his side.

“What the fuck? You’re never up late! Did Daniel do something to you yesterday night?!” Max shouted, it felt like someone was punching me in the skull. I peered at him.

“Hey… language.”  I replied, Nikki examined my face.

“He's hungover. Looks just like my mom after one of her girls nights.” Nikki explained, Max looked even more confused than he did before now.

“Hungover? But this is David were talking about! He doesn't drink booze I barely ever see him drinking soda!” Max was yelling again, I shut my eyes tight and rubbed the corner of my head with my thumbs.

“That's because soda is bad for your teeth and has a lot of sugar in it that is not natural. Plus all the artificial colours and flavors. Furthermore, we are not having a conversation about if I was drinking or not yesterday as you are children and this isn't a topic for us to discuss.” I informed Max and his friends. Max ran his hands through his hair.

“Daniel is corrupting you David and I bet it's part of some sick and twisted plan! Don’t listen to him and don't drink anything he gives you. I will make you coffee if you really want some.” Max said to me, I frowned and shook my head at him.

“No Max I don't like when you make me coffee because you make it way too strong. Daniel is not plotting against me. We were just two adults who hung out yesterday and maybe I decided to have a drink - I'm not saying I did because again you are children and we shouldn't be having this conversation - but nothing is wrong with Daniel.” I spoke, Max was about to say something else when Daniel came over with my coffee and placed it on the table in front of me. I looked down at the cup and took a sip. It was the best coffee I ever had and it went straight to soothing my aching head. I let out a breath.