Chapter 14, Lies

(Daniel’s POV)

The door went flying open in the cabin and a voice boomed inside causing me and David to jump and try to scramble away from each other.

“I feel like my vacation should have been longer, but it's not too bad being back I guess. David is Daniel still- what the…?” it was Gwen, the girl who had hired me and then went on vacation, the other counselor. I had completely forgot about her. David basically shoved me of off his body and I landed on the foot of the bed, he crossed his legs and sat there smiling, waving to Gwen who was give us a really weird look. I wasn't sure if she saw us on top of each other or not, but even this scene was hard to explain. I was just sitting on the end of the bed with messy hair and David was laying down on the other side of the bed, lifting his torso up with his arms shirtless with a red face.

“Hi Gwen! Welcome back! Did you have a good vacation?” David asked her, Gwen was still looking at us with the world's most confused face. I wasn't even sure what to tell her so I just sat back and waited until someone asked me something, letting the situation play itself out.

“I had a good vacation… what is going on? Did I come in at a bad time?” Gwen changed the subject again, she hadn't even blinked yet she was staring so intently at us. David was clearly having a hard time lying so I eventually stepped in and spoke.

“Sorry no, I was just helping David out because he got a sunburn and I had Aloe gel in my bag so I was getting his back. You just startled us is all, we weren't expecting you back until morning.” I said as calmly and collectively as I could, Gwen seemed to take to my relaxed tone a lot better than David’s attempted avoidance as she broke her eye contact and walked over to her bed, the one I had been sleeping in.

“Yeah, I know, I should have knocked but I am just so used to waltzing in. It's late, you guys probably thought someone was breaking in.” Gwen laughed a bit, I laughed in the same tone she did and David let out a forced laugh, I nudged him a bit as if to tell him to relax but he was really tensed up.

“David you didn't even get a bed for Daniel while I was gone? Wasn't that something we talked about?” Gwen asked, David sat up and swung his arm.

“Gosh darn it your right! I completely forgot! I know we have a spare mattress in the supply shed, I should have gotten it already.” David said, standing up, I stood up with him.

“Oh, I'll help you with it and we’ll bring it in here. C'mon David, it's late, we don't wanna take too long.” I said, pushing David along. He agreed with me and we both awkwardly told Gwen we would be right back and then shimmed out of the cabin, the door closing behind us. David let out a huge sigh of relief and I shushed him as the walls in the cabin were not thick. David started leading me over to the supply shed where the mattress was supposedly located.

“Oh Daniel I feel so bad lying to Gwen, I've never lied to her before she's like my bestie.” David complained to me as we found the mattress and gathered up some sheets to go along with it. I pulled it out of the shed and leaned on it.

“Well, you can tell her if you want I mean I'm sure she wouldn't mind.” I said, David shook his head sadly.

“No, I can't. Dating coworkers is taboo.” he stated for the second time, I rolled my eyes at him and kissed his cheek.

“Stop saying taboo like you know what it means.” I laughed a bit, he laughed too but it was less than me. He got a better grip on the blankets and looked at the ground.

“It's not that easy anyways, I remember telling Gwen last summer that dating coworkers was a big no no because she liked this supply we had for a few weeks and I lectured he about not being allowed to date him.” David paused and rubbed his arm, “Now look how the tables have turned.” David explained, I messed up his hair a little and smirked at him.