2

chapter 2 - slapped by a girl

"good girls don't exit,

they are just bad girls who are not yet caught"

[edited - 10.12.18]

k e n z i e

i cut through the crowds and walked all the way in front of the populars as i tried to move towards the classroom. i didn't want to be late for class. sighing in relief after finally being able to breathe properly, i slowed down to a steady pace as i tried to manoeuvre my way to the class. which way was it again? i stopped at an intersection, staring at the right hallway hesitantly. this was when i needed brynn desperately. sense of direction, unfortunately, does not mix well with me.

i crossed my arms over my chest, scowling. thanks a million for ditching me, brynn. i turned around, preparing to ask around for directions.

"sorry, do you know how to get to first period calculus?" i asked, trying to peer around the person blocking my line of sight. he did not reply, but instead cross his arms around his chest.

such a helpful guy. i sighed as i looked up, only to freeze when i came face to face with none other than johnny orlando. i stood rooted to the spot, unable to breathe as i stared into his green orbs. i must be hallucinating. all those talk about him must have put me into a dream. i rubbed my eyes, but he was still there, staring at me in amusement. 

i'm out of here. my breath rattling in my throat, i tried to move away, but less than a second later, a hand shot out and wrapped tightly around my wrist like a vine, tugging me back. curse the fast reflexes of a soccer captain. wincing as my circulation was almost cut off by his tight grip, i snatched my hand back, rubbing it.

"where are you going, darling? don't you want to know where first period calculus is?" johnny grinned lazily, while a sinking feeling filled my guts. i just want to know how i can escape now.

"no thanks," i muttered as i tried to back away again. the faces of the cheerleaders and jocks were filling my vision, just when i was bad mouthing them. the irony.

"oh, but i want to tell you where your class is, after all, you did ask me," johnny put emphasis on the 'me' as his smile grew even wider, his hand flying out and pulling me back once again. yes, so please tell me and let me go now. how in the world could i have missed him? i sighed. maybe i need glasses.

i could feel the atmosphere getting more tensed by the minute as johnny continued to smile. why, why did everyone like to bully poor me? scanning the crowds, i tried to catch sight of brynn. there she was. her eyes were wide open, her jaw slack as she stared at me. i waited for her to rescue me, but all i got was a thumbs up as she winked in my direction. great help. turning back, i winced as johnny's bright green eyes collided with mine again.

"guys, little princess here doesn't know where her class is," johnny smirked, gaining a few sniggers from the crowd. i could feel the weight of everyone's stares threatening to bury me in stress as i fidgeted.

"how stupid are you?" johnny whispered, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear as he smiled, his face unbearably close to mine. i looked towards his side at nadia. just as i thought, she was glaring at me while busy inspecting her nails. perfect. he just earned me an enemy. i looked down as everyone in the crowds started whispering. to them, it probably looked like he was flirting with me, but in actual fact he was spewing such horrible words.

"you are the stupid one," i hissed back, unable to resist the urge to talk back at him as i watched his face light up in shock with satisfaction. he probably never expected a quiet girl like me to retort back. well, i'm going to shower his life with surprises.

smirking, i leaned close to his ear, murmuring, "what? pretty boy can't say anything now?"

in the crowd, i could see brynn facepalm as she shook her head, grinning at me. she knew my personality the best.

turning back, i was suddenly pushed against the cold wall. i was so not ready for this. stunned, i looked up to see anger clouding johnny's eyes as one hand of his pressed against my collarbone.

"let me go!" i yelped as i tried to twist my way out, but to no avail.

"try getting out if you can," he said angrily, as i felt my collarbone throb under the weight of my hand. ouch. if it's broken, i swear i'll kill him before he kills me.

i glared at him furiously. he was such a typical jock who loves to show his superiority to the weak. everyone in the crowd seemed to have taken a sharp intake of breath as the air around us froze. no one was willing to lend a hand, and the rest of the populars were looking on in boredom, as if strangling someone was quite common. gritting my teeth, i was prepared to give him a piece of my mind when a cough interrupted our intense staring contest.

we looked to our left in unison and, thank the heavens, brynn was standing there smiling at johnny in a sickeningly sweet way. please say she's really going to help me and not rattle off a dozen pick up lines.

"hi there, it's brynn, and that's my best friend, do you mind-" brynn barely managed to finish her sentence before johnny interrupted her rudely, "is sounding like a rhinoceros a hobby of both of you? no wonder, birds of a feather flock together,"

brynn immediately flamed red as she stammered, while i clenched my fists, gritting my teeth.

i was okay with him insulting me, but not brynn. brynn was a sensitive girl, and she was probably going to over-read johnny's words and worry for a million years. as much as i was exasperated with her constant fangirling, i won't allow johnny to treat her like she's nothing.

that was the end of my patience. i had already tolerated him for longer than i usually would, and now my blood has started to boil. i wasn't even planning it, but my hand has already reached up to slap johnny before i could take it back.

i could only watch in slow motion as he reeled backwards as the slapping sound resounded in the room. people were gasping and he was staring, shell shocked at me, still not being able to comprehend that a girl had just hit him. slapped him really hard over the cheek, in fact. he immediately let go of me and i scanned the crowd hastily. brynn was wide eyed, while nadia's hands were pressed against her mouth.

taking advantage of the moment, i shoved him off me, watching him stumble. such a prude. if i don't say something now i'll regret it forever.

pressing my finger into his chest, i warned, "don't you dare insult my friend, jerk,"

then, i turned heel and stomped out of the hallway before turning into the nearest classroom and breathing heavily. although revenge felt great, i still can't believe it. i just slapped johnny orlando. kill me now.

(1257)

[do not be a ghost reader! vote, comment and share!]