9

chapter 9 - getting on my nerves

"we become neighbors

when we are willing to cross the road for one another,"

[edited - 17.12.18]

k e n z i e

"kenzie? kenzieeeee," the voice asked again in a sing-song tune as i grinded my teeth together, gripping my pen extra tightly to prevent myself from losing my cool. to be honest, i had been tolerating johnny was the past one hour, and my patience was wearing thin.

if i didn't know him as the cool jock in school, i would have thought that he had a career in pestering people. i really felt like tearing my hair out in frustration and stuffing every strand of them into his oversized mouth (that didn't have an 'off' button). i had not done any work at all and staring desolately at the humongous pile of homework waiting for me, i wanted to cry. being neighbours with him, especially when we were merely two meters apart, was terrible. why couldn't lauren get this room instead?

"kenzie, talk to me, i'm bored," the idiotic voice whined again. recently, we became closer since we were pretty much sitting at the same table in school. i would have avoided him like plague if i had known that it would bring such dire consequences.

"entertain. yourself," i bit on my words hard.

"kenzieeeeee," i lost it.

ripping the curtains apart and glaring dirtily at him, i growled, "quit being irritating! i suspect the high iq you were born with was made to brainstorm on how to irritate humans,"

i expected johnny to apologise and turn around (like a normal human being, but apparently he was an alien). he chuckled, swivelling around in his chair.

"thank you for the compliment, but it's quite entertaining to see you mad, darling," johnny smirked. i groaned. he deserves an award for being the most obnoxious idiot ever.

"don't you dare darling me, you jerk," i waggled my finger on his face, warning him but he just shrugged.

"whatever, but i really have nothing to do - after all, guess who finished his homework way before you?" he smiled evilly, before continuing, "so talk to me and stop being a goody two shoes," he grinned, knowing his words would provoke me.

"i'm not a goody two shoes!" i snapped grumpily. i had enough of him teasing me for being a 'good girl' already, and the temptation to kick his ass (to prove my point) was steadily rising.

"ah, are you a bad girl then?" he wiggled his eyebrows at me.

"no, i retorted back, crossing my arms as his eyes wandered to my body, scanning places where he shouldn't be looking. one thing i realised was that johnny was the world's biggest flirt ever. everything that came out of his mouth was so inappropriate that he got me blushing every now and then.

"stop being so sexy then," he smirked, propping his head up on his palm. although i knew johnny was only joking, it didn't help the situation that a blush rose rapidly on my face, flushing me red.

"you are blushing!" johnny pointed up the obvious, getting up and leaning onto the window sill, surveying me like a lion inspecting its prey. feeling self conscious, i rubbed my arms uncomfortably under his stare.

"i'm not!" i argued back weakly while he chuckled, shaking his head at me.

"don't lie, darling, you are blushing. if you really like me, just tell me. like the gentleman i am, i would definitely accept your confession with courtesy," he nodded convincingly at me, that obnoxious smirk still evident on his face as i gritted my teeth.

"fat chance i'll like you," i scoffed in his face. that guy really needs to do something about his ego. it's so high that if i wanna go bungee jumping, i could jump off his ego and land on his iq - which was such a pity, an iq this high was wasted on someone like him.

"just admit it, i'm really hot, you should be all over me," he grinned, gesturing to himself while i rolled my eyes.

"you must be referring to nadia, i guess she is dying to have a piece of you everyday," i said nonchalantly.

"yes, she is, in fact, how did you know?" johnny acted surprised while i growled. he's hopeless.

"because you are so hot, that's why," i waved him away sarcastically.

"thank you, thank you, the words you have been dying to say are finally out of your pretty little mouth," pretty little mouth-. i widened my eyes. he did not say that.

not able to think of a comeback towards his proud declaration, i glowered at him, starting to pull the curtains shut when his voice interrupted my train of thoughts. again.

"if you don't talk to me right now, i'm gonna come drag you over and make sure you say something," he demanded suddenly while i scoffed at his empty threat. drag me over? not gonna happen, mister.

"i'm heavy,"

"i'm strong,"

"i'm done talking to you," arguing with him was pointless. he somehow managed to win every single banter.

laughing to myself, i turned back to my work, enveloping myself happily in the sudden silence. i smiled to myself, finally being able to concentrate. the quiet was deafeningly loud, which was unusual. frowning, i tried listening out for johnny's movements but there was no sound. somehow, an incessant tugging in my guts made me feel that this was the calm before the storm.

indeed, it was not long before a warm pair of hands gripped my shoulders and spun me around.

"what-" i was face to face with a familiar, big grin.

"what-how-when did you get in?" i asked, my homework long forgotten.

"your window is wide open," he pointed at my fluttering curtains.

in my hazy thoughts, i barely registered the fact that i was pulled up and pushed towards my window.

"didn't take my words seriously, darling?" johnny smirked beside me, while i stared at him in horror. here goes to another afternoon wasted.

(1015)

[do not be a ghost reader! vote, comment and share!]