45

chapter 45 - the last happy day

"happiness is a choice,

not a reward,"

k e n z i e

I watched as Johnny ran across the field, kicking the ball swiftly to his other teammates. Beside me, Brynn typed away furiously on her phone. Probably texting Mark again. I knocked her head using my finger lightly (to remind her of my existence; she seemed to have forgotten about me totally) and turned back to the field. Don't get me wrong, I know nothing about soccer, but since Johnny invited me to watch their practice one day before the match, I was more than happy to comply.

I realized that Johnny was actually pretty good at soccer (from my limited soccer watching experience), and the coaches would have been blind if they did not give him the scholarship. I'll be praying so hard for him tomorrow during the match.

As Johnny kicked the ball into the goalpost, a couple of lovesick sighs erupted all around me. Scowling, I turned around to glare at the girls who were holding banners and blowing kisses at my boyfriend. If I had known that coming here with Brynn would mean having to endure the girly squeals of at least a dozen barbie dolls, I would have locked myself at home. But Johnny looked so hopeful when he invited me that I couldn't bear to say no.

The coach blowed his whistle, a loud, piercing sound that signaled break. Smiling, I stood up and watched as Johnny climbed up the steps, grinning at me.

As he passed by the plastic dolls, they simpered and battered their eyelashes furiously at him. When I first came to this school, I thought that a contagious disease of eye seizure had taken hold of the whole female population, causing rapid blinking. Now that I knew, I could only blame Johnny. Stifling my laugh, I tucked my hands into the pockets of my jeans and waited for Johnny to walk over.

"Hey, how's my girlfriend doing?" Johnny ruffled my hair teasingly. Swatting his hand away, I patted my hair down.

"Not very good, a bunch of people seem to hate me a lot," I gestured at his fans.

"Ah, it is a problem we need to solve," Johnny put his hand around my shoulders and spun me around to face the barbie dolls.

"Girls, this is my girlfriend, so don't approach me in the future or else you would have to face her wrath," Johnny wagged his eyebrows and I punched his arm lightly. Such flattering skills. I turned away as a million glares pierced at my face. Way to go, Johnny, now I'm the focus of all the crazy dolls running around.

"Orlando! Come down!" Suddenly, his coach's booming voice cut through my thoughts. His teammates were all making kissy faces behind the coach's back. I laughed as William tried to spin Hayden around but instead caused him to skid a few meters away. How adorable.

"Kenzie, wait for me afterwards," Johnny waved his hand in front of my face and planted a small kiss on my forehead, causing me to burn up till my face was a fiery red. To make matters worse, he flashed me a mind blowing grin as he walked down.

Grinning abashedly, I looked down at my shoes as I took a seat. I was still not used to this. His every action sent me off the edge and made me hit my blushing limit for my whole life.

"Jeez, all these cuteness is driving me mad, I needa go to the toilet," Brynn winced as she slipped her phone into her pocket and stretched. Glowering at her, I waved her away.