24

chapter 24 - words i would regret

"maybe, it was just my heart speaking for me,"

[edited - 22.12.18]

k e n z i e

"Crap, he's coming here," I groaned as I saw the familiar brown haired guy walking towards our lunch table, "What should I do?"

In my peripheral vision, I could see Annie frowning in his direction.

"Hey Kenzie, mind if I sit here?" Hayden asked amicably, smiling as Annie clapped a head to her forehead.

"Yes, I'm sorry, this seat is reserved for Johnny," I muttered, scanning the crowds for the golden haired, green eyes boy. Where in the world was he?

"Johnny again?" Hayden scowled, "I'm taking the seat now," he plopped down without any hesitation as I widened my eyes. Did he not hear what I just said?

"What are you doing? I thought I told you to..." I could hear Annie hiss at Hayden, but the rest of her sentence was drowned out by the loud chatter in the cafeteria. Did she know him?

"...Chill, Miss Wikipedia," I could see Annie glaring at him, pointing furiously at something on his hand. I leaned over, but I could only see the end of a string of numbers.

"So, Kenzie, have you thought about what I said?" Hayden asked, while I frowned, "What did you say?" the smile slid off his face.

"About getting back together?"

"No, definitely not," I rejected his idea immediately, looking to Lauren for help.

"Hm? Ah, yes," Lauren coughed as she swallowed three fries at once, "So, here's the thing, Kenzie is..." she looked at me for hep, before continuing, "she is dating?" the end of her declaration ended in a question as I looked at her, exasperated.

Thankfully, Hayden was too preoccupied with accessing Lauren's words that he completely missed out the question mark at the end.

"She is what?"

"Dating a boy, what I mean is, she can only date a boy right? Not like she can date any girls," Lauren rambled on nervously, as Brynn facepalmed beside her. This was getting worse.

"Dating," Hayden looked at me angrily, as Annie bit her lip, looking anxious.

"Yeah, so she's dating this guy. Um, he has golden hair. And, um, green eyes, so now you know her standards, right? Hahaha," Lauren trailed off with an awkward laugh as I glared daggers at her. Golden hair? Green eyes? Why did this sound so much like Johnny?

"Are you talking about your brother?" I hissed at Lauren, tugging on the ends of my hoodie. This was bad, really bad.

"Is it true?" Hayden's face looked as black as a thundercloud.

"Yes?" I forced a smile, while Brynn clapped a hand to her mouth.

"What's his name," Hayden's jaw was clenched tightly.

"Um, he is..." Lauren looked at me uncertainly, but I had already decided. God have mercy, please don't kill me.

"It's Johnny, he's my boyfriend," Less than a second after my declaration, the whole table erupted.

(495)

[do not be a ghost reader! vote, comment and share!]