32

chapter 32 - dates

"no matter what, i know he'll always be there for me,"

[edited - 23.12.18]

k e n z i e

"Kenzie," Annie whispered as I was trying to solve my calculus question.

"What?" I asked, nearly upsetting my whole bottle of water at her serious tone of voice.

"I-Hayden asked me out yesterday and I said yes," she said hastily, blushing as she looked down at her lap.

"Oh gods, that's great! You will enjoy it!" I grinned, squeezing her hands lightly.

"You aren't angry right?" Annie asked worriedly while I scoffed. Angry? That's the last emotion I will feel.

Shaking my head at her and ruffling her hair, I smiled, "Of course I wouldn't be, what kind of best friend would I be if I got angry at these kinds of stuff?" Annie chuckled before turning back to her work with a relieved sigh.

Finally. Finally that asshole got the guts to ask her out.

Hayden had been in a dilemma the whole entire week.

If you were with him, hearing him ask you repeatedly "Do you think Annie will reject me?" doesn't help with your digestion of food during lunch at all. Now I had a stomach bug and it's totally Hayden's fault.

I looked over at Johnny who was sitting beside me grouchily chewing the end of his pencil, looking absolutely moody. I can't blame him. If I thought that Hayden was annoying, I think you should know how Johnny was feeling now. His tolerance and patience level was basically non-existent, so being paired with Hayden was driving him nuts.

At first, Hayden didn't even pester me at all. He followed Johnny around. Everywhere. It was rather hilarious to see him practically haunting Johnny. Until Johnny lost it and told Hayden to stay away from him unless he wanted to eat a fist. And Hayden, being smart for the first time in his entire life, took the threat and steered clear away from Johnny.

Then he came to me next. I really regretted telling Hayden not to irritate Johnny anymore. His whining was causing both me and Johnny to lose focus in class, which was a first, because Johnny never, ever loses focus. Usually, Johnny topped the class, but recently he became second after Annie (who obviously knew nothing of the torture we went through just for her). And me? I went from being in the middle all the way to the bottom. Not funny at all.

Nudging Johnny gently, I pursed my lips as he glared stonily in my directions, dark eye bags hanging down from his eyes. That's the typical reaction we get from him now. A glare, followed by a 'What?' if you are lucky. Sigh. It may be partially because of the heavy metal music Johnny was blasting into his own ears at 800 decibels. How he managed to listen to such horrible music cranked up at such a high pitch without his ears bleeding was a wonder to me. It's a miracle all he got from wearing headphones around everywhere were a few sleepless nights and not deafness, because I had expected that.

"What?" Johnny snapped lazily, tugging out his headphones partially enough for me to hear the booming sound of the metal music emitting from it. Ouch. Rest in peace, my ears.

"Will you just shut it for a minute? I'm trying to talk to you here without you snarling at me, mister," I shot back, wrestling his phone from his hands and pressing pause on the music hurriedly.

"Now speak, before you miss your chance," he drawled, scowling as I broke into a grin. Great. Now he must think that I was extra weird.

"Hayden finally asked Annie out," I smiled, motioning towards a beaming Annie.