41

chapter 41 - ah, crap

"you don't know how long i have waited for this,"

[edited - 24.12.18]

k e n z i e

"I don't want to talk to you," Putting my hands on Johnny's chest resolutely, I shoved him away from me.

Finally. I could breathe. Being in such close proximity with him was giving me the palpitations.

"Hey, but I want to talk to you, does that matter?" His velvety voice rolled off his tongue and hung in the air. If he had said this a week ago I would have swooned and probably died of heart attack.

But now, all I felt was a stinging pain in my heart. What use was wooing me with all these fanciful words if he didn't mean them at all?

I sighed.

"I'm tired, Orlando," I watched as he flinched at how I addressed him.

"Honestly, tonight has been terrible. I wore this gown for nothing, " I tried to push past Johnny while internally fuming at how bad I sounded.

A tiny smile fluttered up his lips.

"Not for nothing," he paused, looking at me seriously.

Thump. Curse my heart. I pressed a shaky hand to my chest.

"What do you mean?" I tried to brush him off.

"Well, would you give me the honor of dancing with you?" Johnny bent down and lifted up a hand, peering up at me through those lashes.

Thump.

"Honestly-" I barely had time to complete my sentence before his hand grabbed mine.

"I'll take it as a yes then, ma chérie,"

I flushed red. His hand felt warmer than I had remembered.

Putting his hand lightly at my waist, almost tentatively, he puffed out a small breath he had been holding, tickling my face.

This shy gesture was so unlike him that I almost pulled his hands tighter around me.

Then I remembered. We can't even be classified as friends right now, so what was I doing?

I could hear the soft music drifting out from the ballroom as Johnny swung me around slowly, moving back and forth. The fairy lights hung meticulously by the student council glittered like stars overhead. This was not what I planned. I was destroying my whole life just for this boy.

Sighing, as I got a little braver, I knocked my chin against his shoulder lightly.

"Why are you doing this, Johnny? It's not fair to me you know?" I mumbled, breathing in his all too familiar lemony scent in.

"What isn't fair to you?" Johnny pulled me closer as he stared at me with his green orbs.

"What you are doing, it isn't fair to my heart. My heart always beats so hard for you. You may be kind to me tonight, but who knows? You might throw me away like some used rag tomorrow," I muttered.

Why was I even telling him all these?

"You will never be a used rag to me, Kenzie!" Johnny said fiercely as he stopped moving, causing my nose to bump into his chest.

"Ow," I complained, rubbing my nose while trying my best to avoid looking at him at all.

Soft fingers replaced my hand as they lightly bobbed my nose. I could feel the place where his fingers had just touched burn for a moment as a line of fire traveled up my spine.

No, I shouldn't be reacting so strongly to his actions. Feeling embarrassed, I pushed away but it only caused his hands to tighten around my waist even further such that we were pressed even closer together.

For a long time, none of us said anything, until the music changed.

"Johnny, when...when I kissed you the other day, why didn't you kiss me back?" I finally built up enough courage to ask him what had been nagging at the back of my mind for a long time.

"Because you kissed him," he said simply, looking at me accusingly like a wronged puppy.

"What? Kissed who?" I was confused as I looked at him inquiringly, cocking my head to one side.

"Brandon. I can't help but think of how he had kissed you that day at the beach," Unknowingly, his hands had curled into a fist behind my back. Putting my hand hesitantly over his, I traced patterns until they relaxed. He must have saw Brandon kiss me that day.

"He was the one who kissed me, not the other way round, and I didn't kiss him back. You would have known if you bothered to ask me instead of showing me such cold reception." I said indignantly as I looked up at Johnny.

"He kissed you? I guess I know who I should kill tonight," Johnny mumbled as I looked at him in feigned horror.

"Oh my, be sure to add a few slaps for me," I laughed.

My hands relaxed against his chest as we swayed to the jazzy tune bursting from the speakers.

"Kenzie, I really wanna do this right now again," Johnny's soft voice shot through my veins, heating them up so bad that I was afraid my blood would turn into gas.

"Do what?" I whispered as I leaned closer so that our breaths mixed together.

Then his lips came, soft as a feather at first, sizzling and rooting my whole body to the spot as I melted into his arms. I tuned out everything as we enveloped in our small bubble, trapped in one another's arms. The fairy lights continued to blink overhead. The music continued to drift around. Everyone's chatter still continued. But for a moment, it was just me and him.

Kenzie and Johnny.

Until Lauren ruined it.

Again. As usual.

"Oh no, am I interrupting something?" her eyes glittered as she pulled open the curtain. Brynn and Annie's head popped up behind hers as they giggled.

"Oh no!" they chorused, before erupting into laughter.

As if we were struck by lightning, me and Johnny bounced away from each other.

I stumbled back, tripped over a potted plant, and watched in real horror as I tumbled off the second level balcony and headfirst into the swimming pool that was welcoming me with open arms. I could see Johnny staring at me in horror.

Ah, crap.

MY GOWN. I'M GOING TO KILL LAUREN.

(1044)

[do not be a ghost reader! vote, comment and share!]