7

chapter 7 - the populars' table

"being popular on social media is like

sitting at the coolest lunch table in a mental hospital"

[edited - 15.12.18]

k e n z i e

"brynn, are you okay? johnny is an ass for insulting such a beauty," i said angrily, waving my fists around while brynn looked on in amusement. i had mentally prepared myself to face brynn's mental breakdown talk today.

"thanks, gurl, next time you fight me, remember that i'm a beauty," brynn winked, seemingly unaffected.

"so, you are not disappointed about johnny being mean to you?" i asked, confused, as brynn continued shoving eggs into her mouth, munching loudly in the cafeteria.

"nope, i've got a new crush," she grinned, gesturing towards my side, "you see that boy sitting there? that one in the chess club? he's way too cute," she put her chin on her palm and smiled dreamily. i rolled my eyes, i knew she would get a new crush again.

"oh yeah, do you know who are my new neighbours?" i asked as brynn snapped back to reality, shaking her head, "nope, the ones who got the house that was empty next to yours?"

i nodded, "it's the orlandos,"

"wait, you mean johnny orlando and the blonde sister of his sitting there?" brynn's eyes widened as she clapped me on the back, "oh my god, what did i say? not only do you guys have chemistry, you are also fated,"

"sure, i'm definitely fated with an arrogant potato. i don't understand how he can act all high and mighty when his sister is such a nice person," i was in the middle of my rant when brynn looked up and dropped her fork.

looking weirdly at her, i turned around and nearly smacked into none other than the greatest johnny orlando. great. just as i was insulting him. i could feel the heat travel to my face.

"ah, just as i was about to invite you to join our table, you chose to insult me. maybe i should just go away?" he asked, crossing his arms.

i snorted. have i not made it clear yet that i'm not interested in their table? does he think sitting at his table would be an honor for me? um, sorry, but no.

"well, go away then, can't you see that we are engaging in a private conversation?" i retorted and turned back to brynn,winking at her. chemistry, she mouthed back.

"you can have a conversation there too," he argued.

"not if we have potatoes poking their noses in," i muttered, earning a stifled laugh from brynn, who tried to muffle it with a cough.

apparently i wasn't quiet enough, because johnny gritted his teeth, "you little-"

"hey, kenzie, why don't you come along together with your friend? i was the one who ordered johnny here, by the way," lauren poked her head out from behind johnny, "hi, i'm lauren, and this is my ass of a brother," brynn looked at me in amazement, before grinning at lauren.

"i'll come along if johnny apologises to brynn for his rudeness," i demanded, looking back at johnny, who glowered at me.

"come on, john, apologise," lauren elbowed him, settling down beside me, "you are brynn, right?"

johnny sighed, "sorry brynn, satisfied now?" he asked, crossing his arms while i nodded in triumph. one for kenzie.

smiling, i grabbed my stuff before following johnny and lauren, with brynn trailing behind me while lauren chattered excitedly.

the walk to the populars table was the most terrifying one i have ever experienced. johnny walked determinedly in front, his face cold and expressionless, showing his apparent unwillingness.

everyone seemed to want those 'precious spots' at the populars table. i had to endure a two minute 'walk of shame' as all the girls glared and me and whispered pointedly.

finally, after a long torturous walk, we arrived. the populars table wasn't as packed i thought it would be, and a few of them were engaging in light conversation as they turned around.

"show over, guys, turn around now," lauren yelled as she pulled me into a hug, "i missed you!"

"it's just one day," i rolled my eyes, while brynn cracked a smile. all the populars were grinning affectionately at lauren - apparently she was someone that everyone loved.

while lauren busied herself with brynn, i scanned the table.

the most popular out of them - those who were sitting at the table johnny brought us to, there were five of them in total including lauren.

first, there was annie leblanc - all the geeks knew her, she was the popular with the second best grades in school (the first was johnny - a big surprise). she has straight brown hair and bright sparkling eyes. however, she never ever reveals anything about herself, and was the most mysterious out of them all. she was still very welcomed, though. i looked at her curiously while she gave me a small smile. guess there is a lot to find out about her.

then, of course, the boy sitting on my right, johnny orlando, the guy with the world's biggest ego, accompanied by his girlfriend, nadia turner, who probably owns the entire sephora's stock of lipstick. speaking of lipstick, she was just applying like the ten thousandth layer. she didn't even bother greeting us.

beside lauren was brandon rowland. i never understood why he was part of the populars, but johnny and him were really close friends. because he is quite approachable, girls usually liked to approach him for news on johnny. but the funny thing was, he was the exact opposite of johnny. except for the looks, if i knew their personalities, i would never have guessed they were best friends. brandon was like a nerd. well, a cute looking nerd. he studies a hell damn lot, always walking around johnny like his sidekick and basically, he's really sweet to everyone. i waved at him while he blushed and smiled shyly.

soon, all of us were enveloped in chatter. well, almost everyone. brandon was reading quietly, occasionally butting in with some of his comments. lauren, as usual, was speaking excitedly, waving her hands around, while brynn joined in. i knew that they would definitely hit off with each other. annie was scrolling though her phone while johnny and nadia were making out. gods, spare me my virgin eyes.

"girls, sleepover tonight?" lauren asked all of a sudden and i nodded eagerly, confirming with brynn. annie shrugged before agreeing too. everyone turned to nadia. don't agree. don't agree.

"i can't, i have a manicure appointment," nadia pouted, twirling a strand of hair around her finger. her nails looked perfectly fine compared to mine, which were chipped and lacking of any nail polish at all.

lauren nodded, muttering something along the lines of thank god you are not coming while i chuckled. i can't wait for the sleepover, its time to find out more about the populars.

(1163)

[do not be a ghost reader! vote, comment and share!]