34

chapter 34 - hurt

"i can't explain why i feel this way, i guess i'm just jealous,

i want to be the one you hold close, not her,"

[edited - 23.12.18]

k e n z i e

Tossing my bag onto my bed with a huff, I collapsed onto my chair, swiveling around as I looked at Johnny bobbing his head to the music plugged into his phone opposite my window. Slowly, a smile rose on my face.

I'm so glad that he feels happier recently after Hayden asked Annie out because I knew all these shit gave him a tremendous headache. Looking at him now, so carefree, I wanted to reach out and give him a hug, though I knew that my hands weren't that long.

I was so engrossed in my thoughts that I hadn't realize that Johnny had turned around, grinning at me and I immediately broke out of my trance, embarrassed that he had caught me staring. Gods, what was wrong with me these days?

"Like what you see, Kenzie?" he smirked, gesturing down at his body and I instantly blushed as I stared him in the eye and answered. It took all my willpower not to shy away and cover my face with my hands. Why the hell was he so infuriating?

"No, I've seen better," I lied.

Gods, he actually has the most defined abs I have ever seen. God help my poor heart now. It was cartwheeling like there's no tomorrow. Which there would not be if my heartbeat continues to skyrocket at this pace.

"Hm, don't you mean I'm so infuriatingly handsome and so hot that you could drool?" Johnny smiled evilly at me and I immediately panicked, realizing I had voiced my thoughts out again. Crap. If I continue doing this, I'll probably spill my whole heart out to Johnny, which was definitely not something that I was keen about.

Just as I was about to answer him, someone walked into my room. Shit. It's Maddie. The last time Johnny, Maddie and I have been together, let's just say the experience was not fun. At all. Maddie gave me a twenty minutes lecture all about how I should stay away from horny neighbors in case I get unwanted pregnancies.

That was about the most embarrassing conversation I had ever had and I had to spend another extra ten minutes explaining to Maddie how Johnny wasn't interested in having sex with me, because he had so many other girls to satisfy his needs. But of course I didn't tell her the last part, or else she would be marching to Johnny's house at night to murder him in his sleep.

Sighing internally about Maddie's terrible timings, I hurriedly pulled the curtain close and turned to her, smiling guiltily.

"Who are you talking to?" Maddie demanded and I grinned nervously, holding up my phone, whose screen was still switched off. I grimaced as I noticed my mistake.

"Lauren?" I answered, but it came out more like a question. Thankfully, Maddie nodded, without interrogating me further. Weird. She always liked to press things.

"So, I came here to talk about the Johnny guy," she started and I could almost envision where the conversation is going to. I put up my hands to stop her.

"Not again, Maddie. For the last time, we are not interested in each other, meaning, we are not gonna kiss, not gonna make out, and not gonna do anything inappropriate, so no one would get pregnant. Except for you, seeing as how much you and Jack are always coped up in your room," I muttered the last part but Maddie still caught it and she swatted my hand, annoyed.