3

chapter 3 - chemistry

"if two people are meant to be together,

eventually they will find their way back,"

[edited - 11.12.18]

k e n z i e

"who do you think our new neighbours are?" i propped my chin on my hand as i held the curtains open, swivelling around in my chair to ask maddie.

we were currently chatting in my room. maddie had just gotten back from university for holiday (one of the rare cases she actually comes home) and we were catching up. well, to be precise, she was catching up with her phone.

a message beeped on my phone as i pulled it out.

brynn
gurl, repeat what you did to johnny again?

kenzie
shut up, i told you a million times already

brynn
jeez, don't get your panties in a twist. i think, you two have a lot of chemistry together

kenzie
...

staring moodily at my phone, i cursed brynn a million times in my heart. chemistry my ass. i looked up to see maddie still looking at her phone.

i scowled as i threw my pillow at her, grinning when it hit the target right in the face.

"kenz!" maddie turned to me grouchily as she pretended to throw her phone at me.

"what?" i smiled innocently, "you ignored my question,"

"jeez, how would i know who our neighbours are? it can be anyone in the world," she shrugged.

pursing my lips at her as i turned back to the window, i watched as the moving truck drove to a stop at the backyard of the house beside ours.

"i'm going to find out who they are," i got up from my chair as i made my way downstairs.

"but, you'll know who they are eventually!" i heard maddie call out behind me as i slid down the banister, a hobby of mine that maddie particularly despised.

ignoring her, i skidded into the kitchen as i peered over my mom's back to see what she was doing. my mouth watered as i saw those cookies she was pulling out of the oven.

"yes, sweetie?" mom turned around and grinned at me as she pinched my cheeks, caking them with flour. brushing the flour off, i pouted. she was an awesomely talented cook, and i loved her so much, just that her obsession with flour wasn't too healthy.

"there are new neighbors, can i visit them please?" i begged as mom nodded.

"of course, darling," she smiled, before handing me a warm bag of delicious cookies.

"bring this along, will you? tell them it's fresh from the oven, and no eating them," she grinned at me, wagging her finger. i smiled guiltily. trust her to know what i was planning to do (which was to hide the cookies and eat them on my own).

walking along the stone path to our new neighbours, i rapped on the door smartly. i could hear a shout as someone fumbled with the door, rattling the doorknob.

"oh my, sorry, i'm still not used to the doors here. hello, this is?" a jolly woman in overalls peeked out, a bit of paint stuck to her hand. her smile instantly reminded me of my mom's as i warmed up to her.

"we are your new neighbors!  nice to meet you, these are some cookies that my mom baked, they are fresh from the oven," i handed the lady the cookies, "be careful, they are hot,"

i barely registered anything before i was swept into a hug, crushed by the arms of the lady. i widened my eyes in shock. she was friendly.

"oh, how sweet of you and your family, honey! i am meredith! we'll bring over some food after we finished unpacking, but my baking skills are definitely not as good as your mom's. but my husband cooks delicious lasagne," she said warmly. i smiled, sighing in relief as she finally let go of me.

"mom! don't hug people too tightly!" a sweet voice interrupted my thoughts as a blonde haired girl with sparkling emerald eyes came into view, wrapping her arms around meredith before grinning at me. she looked familiar. i frowned as i tried to recall where i had seen her from.

"i'm lauren, i just got back from my vacation and i will be starting college here, at college a," lauren beamed at me, before continuing in a whisper, "don't mind my mom, she loves hugging everyone," i grinned at lauren. she was really pretty, with her bright eyes and happy demeanor, i was sure we would become fast friends.

"i'm kenzie, and i'm going to college a too, let's hang out in school," i introduced myself, giving her a small hug while she led me in.

"girls! go have fun! i will be downstairs!" meredith called out while i nodded, following lauren.

"there's still so much dust here, do you mind? we are still packing," lauren smiled sheepishly as she fanned herself, a cloud of dust exploding from her hair. i shook my head slightly. when i was first moving in, we had a lot of trouble with the dust too.

"wait, you have a bit of flour on your face," lauren laughed, swiping her finger against my cheek. i blushed and looked down. as expected, there was a smudge of white on the pads of her fingers.

"my mom loves rubbing flour everywhere," i sighed, wiping my face with my sleeve as lauren raised her eyebrows.

"really! she has a weird fetish," i grinned, while lauren shook her head.

'so, where did you go for vacation?" i asked as we continued walking.

"france, it's amazing there," she gushed, reminding me of brynn. i instantly thought of what brynn had just sent me. about johnny. shaking my head, i tried to disperse my thoughts.

"why?" lauren asked curiously, noticing my weird reaction.

"oh, some sibling stuff," i waved my thoughts away. lauren's face immediately darkened.

"well, i have to warn you about my brother. he goes to the same school as us, and he thinks he is some popular kid in school, but he's actually a softie, though he is rather irritating," lauren rolled her eyes. at this, i burst out laughing. he sounds like those airheads in school.

"well, i have four brothers, so what can i expect? they can be a pain in my ass sometimes," i admitted ruefully as she chuckled, pulling open a door.

"well, this is my brother's room, it should be hectic here, he is a messy packer," lauren said, pushing the door open as i peered in, preparing to greet her brother, "his name is-"

i drowned out the rest of her sentence as i stared back into the piercing green orbs of a very, very familiar person.

holy shit.

(1132)

[do not be a ghost reader! vote, comment and share!]