Chapter 11: Sharing Stories

Recap:

"Okay, so it started like this..."

Ciel's POV

"So, it started while I was in junior high."

This startled me.

"Wait, so you're not a noble?"

Because she almost always wore formal attire, I assumed she was either a princess or a noble, at the very least.

She looked at me with questioning eyes. She shook her head.

"Huh? I'm not a noble. I only wear these clothes because my mom wanted me to fit in easier."

Huh. Consider me shocked.

She continued.

"Anyway, I met a few friends in school. Their names are Yomi, Kagari, and Saya. I had another childhood friend named Yuu, but I knew her way before junior high. We became pretty good friends during our experience."

She shifted then looked down.

"But, like any other group of friends, we fought. Only, when we fought, we would get crazy..."

I furrowed my brows in confusion.

"Crazy?"

She nodded.

"When I first met Yomi, she seemed kinda distant, but she never told why. Eventually, I was able to get her to open up, but then I met Kagari. She didn't want me to be friends with Yomi because I guess she didn't want her to leave her side. I don't know. I never got the full story of it.

"Anyway, during the whole situation, Kagari was really mean to me, and I think she got violent with Yomi, forcing her to stay with her. That's what I meant when I said we get crazy.

"Surprisingly, though, I wasn't as hurt as I thought I was going to be."

She gestured to Ms. Black Rock Shooter.

"That's because of Rock."

Her expression turned serious.

"You know about the Otherselves, don't you?"

I nodded.

"Yes, Ms. Black Rock Shooter told me. An Otherself is a being native to the Otherworld who bares the pain of their realselves all the while fighting in their world."

Ms. Kuroi nodded in confirmation, then continued.

"Well, Rock is my Otherself."

My eyes widened.

"What?!"

She nodded.

"That's why we're so close. We're basically sisters."

Ms. Black Rock Shooter took over from there.

"As you are aware, an Otherself's responsibility to watch over their realselves bear the pain they experience. As a result, I watch over Mato and bear her pain. It's another reason as to why we're so close."

Mato lowered her head.

"As you also know, they often fight other Otherselves in order to stay alive and continue to bear our pain. As a result, though, they often come out of it with a lot of scars or wounds that would usually be fatal to us. Because we're so close, it... hurts to see Rock in so much pain like that..."

As she said this, Ms. Black Rock Shooter put a caring hand on her shoulder.

"Don't feel bad. That's just how we are."