1:WHY?

The girl who laid on a small bed peacefully sleeping looked nothing short of 18 summers. The room was quaint yet cosy and it had the aura of a typical girl's room. It was obvious from the small bed, wooden closet and the cracked mirror that the room belonged to a girl who wasn't financially endowed. The wooden door made a creaking sound and a woman who seemed to be in her mid forties entered the room with her hands at akimbo.

She furiously tapped the sleeping girl on the shoulder and Hayfah just groaned before turning her face towards the opposite direction albeit yawning. Her mother yanked the bedsheet she used as a substitute for a duvet off her. "Wake up. You ought to be at school by now yet here you are, lazing around". The woman thundered in a voice which clearly expressed her annoyance.

Hayfah's attempt at greeting her mother proved futile as she was cut short by the angry woman "Dare you not utter a word. I'm not ready to listen to your foul voice just get your lazy self off bed this minute." That being said, the woman stomped out of the room.

Hayfah could not control the tears which threatened to fall. She was tired of all the drama, why was she only getting to experience the bitter side of life? She didn't cause her predicament, she was created that way.

'Why can't Umma understand that?'. She wondered. She wiped off her tear stricken face as realisation dawned on her that it wasn't the first time Umma criticised her, neither was it going to be the last. Family was supposed to be about having each other's backs at all times but no, Hayfah's family were always to poke fun at her.

She got rid of her clothes and tied a faded ankara wrapper round her petite frame and hastily had a quick shower. It was already pass nine and her exams was to start by 9:30 that morning. On her way back into her room, she came across her father. She gently went on her knees whilst using her hands to cover the bare skin around her chest. She had always been a shy one. "Good morning Abba," She greeted in her deep and husky voice she resembled that of a man's. Her Abba was the only person in the family who has never humiliated her. He loved and adored her despite her flaw; a flaw which he found unusually beautiful.

Her Abba was a peace loving man basking in the glory of being in his mid fifties. He was tall structured, with pointy nose and a mop of dark hair which was slowly turning grey. Abba was a typical fulani man. "Good morning Hayfah, had a great night?" He asked smiling lovingly at his daughter whom he loved so much. The way her mother treated her made her his favourite. "How's your exams going?" He further enquired.

"Yes Abba, Alhamdulillah," she said standing up. He nodded and made his way out of the house and headed straight to his place of business. He sold vegetables at the market.

Taking hasty steps, she was in her room applying the well known baby and mama vaseline over her delicate skin. It took the specks of her white powder, her kohl and a spritz of her perfume to complete her look of the day. She smiled at her reflection on the mirror, dabbing her white lip balm over her pink lips.

Hayfah was a fulani lady basking away in the vast beauty of fulani culture. She has fully arched brows that meet whenever she was confused. Down there, she has round doe like eyes that glisten and hide away her pain whenever she smile at the world. Her long thin fulani nose tells the world the culture she came from. And she has lips that could sweep off even the feisty man off his feet.

Her eyes glanced over the old wall clock pinned up her mirror, and her eyes bulged like a saucer. It reads 9:40am, and she was sure today wasn't meant to be her day. What in the whole world made her slept like she did? And now she has to face the consequences all alone. She palmed her face and muttered a supplication.