18:CONVOCATION

The smile on Hayfah's face couldn't be suppressed, how could she show her felicity? She was happy beyond words could express. Those four years passed in the blink of an eye, they were years of truimps, heart breaks, and many unforgettable moments. She had the best lessons of her life in those four years, she was in pain that she almost thought her life would halt at the instant. But with the people that stood by her, she preservere in the face of those grudges, desolations, and detriments.

The triumphant smile she saw on Abba's and Tahir's faces___when she was given her certificate; of which she passed with a first class degree offer, was worth those sleepless nights, it was worth those morning lectures, roaming around the blazing sun, all those mosquitoe's bites, it was worth the sequesterings.

She elatedly lifted her eyes up from the steps; her eyes rummaging through the hall, she wanted to see him, that one person, she thought he would make it to her graduation day.

After the convocation ceremony was over, they came out of the hall with her family, their faces were ecstatic, they held a triumphant and proud smile on their lips.

She hugged Abba tight, as tears of joy flow freely from her eyes, "Thank you so much, Abba. Thank you for making me the person I am today," she slowly whispered, as she broke their hug.

Abba affectionately placed his hand on her head "I'm so proud of you, Hayfah. Righteous spouse I pray," he spoke softly with a loving smile on his lips.

She smiled and moved towards Tahir; whom held a felicitous grin on his lips "I'm so proud of you, sis. Mi yidi ma (I love you)," he whispered through her ears; which made her smiled genuinely.

"I'm so proud of you, sis. Wish I was in your shoes," Amna spoke softly, as she hugged Hayfah slightly, flashing her a loving smile.

Through those years, Amna had been rallying from universities, polytechnics and Colleges of education; and still didn't make something out of it. She got tired of the education and joined a business of selling jewelries and clothes; which was perfectly smooth. Her boyfriends were still active__she couldn't go somewhere without chilling__like just chilling.

"Would you stop the huggings, and I'm proud of yous? We're running out of time for godsake! I was forced being here," came Umma's grunted bellow, as she was rolling her eyes at Hayfah.

Hayfah slowly staggered to were Umma was seething with rage, she bowed down a little "Good afternoon, Umma. How was the trip?" She inquired haltingly; knowing so well Umma's reply wouldn't be nice.

Umma hissed, and yanked off her gaze from Hayfah's face "What's there good about the trip? When all we've come to see was nothing but an empty vessel. I hope you didn't buy that result with your body," Umma spoke enragedly, hissed, and gamboled towards Amna.

Hayfah frenzed in her spot, how could Umma say those words? haven't they passed that level? She didn't know how she slumped on the floor, the words etched her heart piercely. Tears of anguish began streaming down her subtle cheeks.

"It's okay, Hayfah. Let's go," came Tahir's voice, as he slowly lifted her up. She clutched his shirt; as she cried in an agonizing pain.

"Have I ever done something wrong to her? I want to apologize, I really don't like how she's treating me, it's heart squirming. I really love her, Hamma Tahir," Hayfah choked between tears, when would her life be normal? When would she see a smile on her mother's face? When would she feel the warmth of her mother? This is so detrimenting, she's not strong enough.

Abba trudged to where they were, he wiped away Hayfah's tears with his hands, and spoke placatingly "You're to enjoy your day, not to cry over twinging pains. We're proud of you, doesn't that enough for you to jubilate on this day? You're more stronger than this, my daughter I knew wouldn't slump on the floor and cry on her convocation day. Stand up, wipe away your tears, and go make the day memorable as it is. Snap with your friends, and make a triumphant smile plastered on your lips. All of us have your back."