Chapter 34: Resistance

Reader's POV

"What happened here?!" You exclaim, trying to stay calm. Next to you sits Alf, trying to be sneaky, hiding behind a bush.
"It seems like Team Rocket has taken over the entire foundation..."
Trying to calm down, you clench your fists:
"I should have seen it, for Arceus' sake... I have a plan. Follow me." You say, losing your cover and walking towards the gates. Alf follows you, clearly stressed.

You get stopped by grunts, guarding the gate:
"Halt! Who's there?"
You open your mouth to invent a lie, but Alf steps forward, as confident as ever:
"I'm Alf, commander of the first regiment, and this is my assistant, Stevie. We went to Kanto on the Boss's orders, but got defeated by the enemy. We're returning to duty, to await our new orders."
"Password, please?"
"Amorphous."
The grunts step aside, letting you pass. You nod at them politely, but make haste. You can clearly feel Lucario's and Lillie's aura in one of the rooms.
I'm coming to rescue you, Lillie, please hold on.

"You know, Y/n, I think it's best if we-"
Alf gets interrupted by the sound of approaching footsteps, and before you stands a red-haired man, clearly worried about something. He has a red flag in his hands.
Alf notices the man is not a normal grunt and grabs a Poké Ball immediately, trying to hide it behind his back. The shady person noticed the suspicious move, and he looks from Alf to you. Suddenly, his brows frown:
"Holy Arc-" He whispers, dropping the flag.
Alf summons his Toxicroak, but the man reacted way sooner than expected, and Alakazam immediately slams the Toxicroak against the wall:
"There's no need for that. I have nothing against you," the man says, looking into your eyes.

He goes on:
"You're Y/n, right? I might have some infor-"
"Silver!"
At the end of the hallway appears a man you recognise too well: Giovanni.
Silver hesitates:
"Alakazam, broom! Quick!"
Alakazam summoned a broom, Silver quickly hands it to you, and whispers:
"Pretend to be cleaning, fast!"
You quickly start to whipe the dust away from the floor, while Giovanni approaches Silver:
"Son! Have you gathered information about our other helpers yet?"
"Not yet, father."
"Do it. We need it. We haven't heard any news about the rebels in days, who knows what they're doing..."
You try to hide a smile, barely succeeding at it. Luckily, your worst enemy goes away soon, and you're alone with Silver again.
Silver approaches you again:
"Look, I know this is not the best place for us to talk and explain things. Just... Lillie is in her chamber, you hopefully know where it is. I'll come back to you soon, and then we'll have more time. For now, be careful."
You shake hands:
"I do know that. Thank you, Silver. I'm sure we'll meet again soon, and I won't forget this."
He nods and starts walking again, carrying his heavy flag.

Whilst running towards Lillie's room, Alf whispers:
"That was Silver, Giovanni's son. He's really serious, but he has been kind to me in the past. I'm sure he's a good guy, deep down."
"I saw that, he just helped us greatly... we're here." You say, brushing your hand against the old wooden door. It had new colours, red and black, instead of white and yellow.
You take a deep breath, and walk inside without knocking.

There was the love of your life, Lillie, silently laying in bed, sleeping. You smile and sit down next to her, trying not to wake her up. Alf smiles, and so do you. You carefully let her hair flow through your fingers:
"I missed her a lot."
Alf laughs silently:
"I know that, you haven't had anything else on your mind since she left!"
You tear up:
"Thanks for coming along with me."
"Pfff, that's not the only thing I'm going to do here. Talking about that, I should explore this foundation. I'll be back in a bit, with a report of the situation. Take good care of Lillie."
You nod, and Alf leaves the room. He'll be fine, he used to be a grunt after all.