¶Five

After the first period when I had undoubtedly embarrassed myself badly, I had given up hope on being friends with any girl from this class.
They all seemed to dislike me anyway.
God please let them just ring the stupid bell for break. I need food to drown my sorrow. I wonder if they have Mirinda. God please let them have Mirinda it takes my pain away....
"Adaeze are you still in the class?" asked the current teacher, Mr. Long Nose. I was not paying attention when he introduced himself to the new students aka I and Soldier Boy who is aka Ejiro. Like even his name sounds beautiful..hold on...the teacher asked me something.
"Yes sir, I'm still in the class," I said. As you can see. "Sorry Sir," I said.
"Can you please tell me the last thing I said," he said in a tone that made it seem like he was asking me for a favor. What is it with Nigerian teachers and this stupid question?!!like ugh.... I don't even know what he was talking about. Aren't we supposed to be copying the scheme of work for this term...Christ. Adaeze this is how you'll be kicked out of this school before you even started. What is wrong with you.....
"Irene please will you answer me," Mr. Long Nose said sounding annoyed.
Everyone's eyes was on me. Again.
Some girls were giggling and I even heard someone whisper about what a dummy I was. Her father there.
"Sorry sir, the last thing you said was.....," I began.
But at that moment God had mercy on this daughter and the bell rung. I will give testimony on Sunday thank so God.

Immediately everyone stood up and the teacher didn't bother asking me to continue.
I need food and I have to get out of here.
I quickly shoved my books into my desk and carried my one strapped bag and left the class ignoring everyone.

I made my way down the hall as students from other senior classes started leaving their class to go to the cafeteria.
Just as I was about to round the corner with the hope of having chilled Mirinda on my mind, I heard someone call my name and I came to a stop. Did I have friends?!!oh my God.
I turned around and saw a boy running up to me. His hair was in an afro and he had a little mustache above his slightly pink lips that made it hard for me to decide whether to classify him as cute or sexy.
"Hey sorry for shouting your name like that, do you need someone to walk with you to the cafeteria?" he asked like it wasn't completely obvious that I did infact need someone to walk me to the cafeteria.
I smiled at him nervously, "Yeah I do thank you," I said.
He put his hands around my shoulder and I was momentarily freaked out. What is going on?!!
"It's no problem, I like helping pretty girls. Let's go," he said and took his hands off my shoulders and started walking.
I followed him quickly still confused at the shoulder thing.
"So what school did you come from?" he asked me.
"Um...it isn't a popular school but I came from Gracefield Primary and Secondary," I said, as we entered the busy and large cafeteria.

I was sure boys like him came from wealthy popular schools where some of the teachers were paid like half a million.
"Cool, so what are you buying, so that we can get it and go sit with my friends," he said.
Oh wow.... His friends. I wasn't ready for this. I was never comfortable around boys. Mainly because most of my life all boys did was tease me about my bum bum. Ugh that was before they all got slapped by puberty and started making pervy comments about my behind.
"Um....mirinda and meatpie," I said quickly.

Cute Mustache nodded and tapped the guy in front of him. Oh my God I don't even know his name. But he knows mine.
"Abeg Matthew pass me one mirinda and two meatpies there," he said to the guy in front of him.
Without wasting time he Matthew guy who wore rectangular glasses had quickly provided what we wanted.
Nawa o....Cute Mustache must have some serious reps in this school to be treated like that.
He handed me my mirinda and meat pie and led me to his seat without saying a word. I wasn't even sure if I should say thank you.
We soon arrived at a seat at the end of the cafeteria, I spotted some girls from my class eyeing me and Cute Mustache as we passed. Of course they eyed me badly while they looked at Cute Mustache like he was the chilled Mirinda bottle in my hand.
"Omo Bolade you've knacked her already?"asked a very skinny boy at the table immediately he saw me and Cute Mustache who I assumed would be Bolade. Wait oo! Like the same Bolade who would tap me?!! The one I heard people whispering about when I came? God what I have I entered? All the guys at the table laughed.

Cute Mustache....I mean Bolade laughed at the guy."Marcus I swear you're a bastard, she's just a friend and I want her to be sitting with us," He looked at me and gestured to the guys at the table.
"You can hang with any of us anytime you want," he said.
One of the guys snorted,"Wear something sexy if you want to do that," he said. "Aswr guy," agreed some of the guys giving him a high five. Hold on what the actual fudge?!!
"I'd only ever dress sexy to meet guys I'd want to impress not horny animals that look like you," I said glaring at the guy whoever he was. I was getting tired of the way most people had already assumed I was some kind of ashawo because I had a booty. Since when is that a crime?!
All the guys started laughing at the perverted idiot and Bolade even patted my back. "Good one," he said.
"Damien better be careful o, this one is mine," he added.
Excuse me?!
"Bolade sorry to disappoint but the friend of an animal can only be an animal, so I can not be yours at all," I said, teasingly but still making sure to glare pointedly at the so called Damien, Perverted Idiot suited him better.
"L.O.L. I like this girl," said Marcus from earlier. "I'm Marcus," he said smiling at me.
"These two dogs next to me are Karim and Edwards," he said gesturing at the other two guys at the table. They both gave him the finger which made me cringe since I hated any form of swearing whether verbal or none. Marcus chuckled,"The quiet one next to the animal," he said with a smirk.
"Bastard,"muttered Perverted Idiot.
"....is Somto,you'd hardly notice him in a room," continued Marcus. I looked at the Somto person and he smiled shyly at me and I smiled back.
Maybe today won't be so bad afterall.

I'd followed the bus home at the end of the day and I was very relieved to be going home. God I was so tired.
Bolade and his friends even Perverted Idiot made me feel really good, we had gisted throughout break and I had even decided to stop calling Perverted Idiot by that nickname and reduced it to just Pervert.
The girls on the other hand still ignored me in class. By the second break, even some art girls that I didn't even know already knew that I was the ashawo that had shamelessly thrown myself at the supposedly hot guys of Ss1. One girl had even come up to me, Bolade and Edwards in class and asked if I was Bolade's side chick. Like imagine o. Bolade had just given me a look which meant ignore her and I did.
Was I even going to really enjoy this school with the way things are going? Maybe I should wear my baggy school skirt tomorrow to hide my excess package...I can do that.

When I got home there was no light and mom's car wasn't in the compound, meaning no Isaac.

"Grandma are you home?!" I shouted after unlocking the door with my key and entering the parlor.
"Nwa m oo, my child, kedu?" called Grandma from probably her room upstairs.
"A di mma, I am fine,have you been home since?"I asked, taking my shoes off and climbing up the stairs.
That was how Grandma and I communicated whenever I got home.
"Not too long nwa m. Change your clothes quickly and come let us talk," she said.
"Okay ma, give me five minutes," I said before entering my room to change out of of my uniform.
I put on a simple red shirt and wear my favorite jeans shorts and walk to grandma's room.

I knock before entering and walk to sit on her bed.
"So Nwa how was school?" she asks from her wardrobe where she is folding clothes.
I quickly summarize the day but avoid mentioning anything that has to do with the things I heard my classmates saying.

By the time I'm done, she walks over to me and sits next to me. I can tell something is wrong because of the way she moves.

"Grandma is everything alright?" I asked worried. Is she sick?! I hope she isn't.

"Nwa m, I am okay, its just that....," she began then sighed.

"What is it?" I asked, starting to panic a little.

"Don't tell your mother but....," she said.

Please please don't be dying.

"Your father came here today. He wants to talk," she said.

What the fudge?! He wants to do what now?!

Okay so I obviously need to improve but this is the first time I'm writing an Nigerian themed book and I don't get why its so hard. But bare with me I will definitely improve.
Comment suggestions and tips even critics.

Vote.
And don't forget to have a happy 2018!