¶Twenty Four

When my father got to the house, Grace had finally picked out an outfit and she looked amazing. She was wearing a black curly wig that she slicked back into a ponytail and her body looked really nice in her outfit- a green mermaid style dress- that she had chosen when she found out Marcus was wearing something with green. I was wearing a wig as well but mine was a low bob that I tucked behind my ears. My dress wasn't as extravagant but it looked really nice on me in my opinion-a floor length blue two-piece, the top had a square neckline and a cute off shoulder.
As Grace and I rushed downstairs we bumped into Isaac. "For the first time in your life you look fine," he said with a grin.
Grace was staring at him with her jaw dropped. "You're like the Isaac," she said like he was some kind of celebrity. Isaac grinned at that and flexed his arms. "Adaeze said you were ugly!"
I rolled my eyes at her," Because he is, please let's go if you don't want me telling Marcus you were eyeing my brother,".
Isaac smiled at both of us, "Sha, daddy's outside enjoy yourselves tonight, I'll see you later," he said and ran up the stairs.
There was something off about his behaviour but then I didn't really have time to dwell on it.
Grace and I ran to jump into the car..

***

The ride to the school was surprisingly not awkward. My dad was good with teenagers. He knew the questions to ask and how to keep the words flowing. My heart swelled a bit that I hadn't grown up with him. Don't cry Adaeze, he's here now. I took a deep breathe and for the first time all day I actually thought about Damien. We hadn't talked throughout the day. Which I would have thought was normal but then Grace had been texting Marcus since we left the house. I wonder what he would be wearing. He had a unique fashion sense and I wonder how he'd look in ankara. My heartbeat became faster for like the millionth time today.
My dad turned on some music and it took me a few minutes but I suddenly realised he was playing songs my mother listened to. They had the same taste in music. It was so weird and I don't know if he could sense it or if noticed me through the rearview mirror, but he changed to some random radio station and didn't change it again until we got to the front of school.
Can I honestly say this school knew how to show off? There was a red carpet rolled out on the stairs and the entrance to the school was decorated. Different students were taking pictures and gisting already.
"Marcus says they're waiting for us at our spot," Grace whispered to me.
I nodded and I suddenly felt anxious. In my entire life I had never been to a school were they did events like this. I had practically been judged most of the term and I felt very nervous about what people would think of my outfit.
"You ladies look beautiful, don't let these boys whine you tonight o," my dad said. Charity and I groaned at the same time.
My dad laughed and unlocked the doors for us, Grace and Charity were quick to step out and I didn't get why they were rushing until my dad asked if I could come sit in the front for a moment.
I obeyed and tried to look for Grace and Charity but they had already gone. My kind of friends sha. "You look really good today," he said, all the bubbliness from earlier gone, he was nervous and he was looking at me and we were alone.
"I got you a little gift," he said and pulled out a little box from a pocket in his suit.
Taking it from his hands, I opened it and saw a cute tiny bracelet with little blue stones.
"Your mom told me your favourite colour was blue, so I got the bracelets, seven stones for the seven years we weren't in each other's lives," he said. His eyes had tears in them but he was smiling. I had to remind myself I had make-up on to avoid crying a river. I leaned over and hugged my father.
I never thought I'd ever say that sentence in my life, but here I was.
He helped me put on the bracelet after we pulled away from each other.
"Have fun today okay?"
I nodded.
"See you later daddy," I managed to say, before stepping out of the car.
I didn't hear his response but I was very content. I watched the car drive away and then I made my way into the school to meet everyone else at our spot.