¶Twenty

thank you all so much for taking my book to over 18k reads in my absence. I honestly appreciate you all with all my heart.

***

"I'm very much convinced at this point that these teachers don't really want us to pass our exams, how can they put four exams in one day?" Grace said as we all gathered after our last paper for the day. It had been over a week since Damien had kissed my cheek on the stairs and our end of term exams had already started. A week and two days to be precise.

Marcus immediately wrapped his arm around her waist and kissed the back of her head, his eyes shut as he sighed, "Honestly speaking, I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have my favourite drug waiting for me after every paper," he said. Grace blushed, but quickly regained herself as she slapped his hands off her waist, "Don't embarrass me in public Marcus,".
Bolade and Edwards laughed as Marcus pouted at Grace.
The two had become an official couple three days ago and now Marcus no longer hid behind jokes and teasing to show Grace that he cared for her. It was honestly both cute and cringey to watch them sometimes. It was only awkward whenever Damien was there and I'd find myself wondering if he was wishing that he and I could be in a relationship too. Luckily, today he wasn't at school because he didn't have papers today
After he kissed my cheek last week and talked about how he felt with the Muyiwa situation, we hadn't said much about it again. We simply talked about our exams and our classmates, but steered away from any topics of us.

There was no us.

"Irene! Oh my God, Irene!" called someone from behind us and we all turned to see Charity half running and half walking up to our little group. She had on the brightest smile and I found myself smiling back at her. It was hard not to. Last week she had collected my number and we had been texting back and forth and if was honestly so amazing to see we had stuff in common. It was almost easy to forget that we shared a dad.

Almost.

"What's up babe?" I asked as she got to our group.  "Oh my God, you won't even believe it," she said gasping and grinning. Everyone in our group had their eyes on her wondering what she could possibly be so excited to say.
"Guy talk, what's the gist?" asked Grace, her eyes widening; amebo. "Ejiro and Amira... Ejiro broke up with Amira guy," she said. My jaw dropped and I could almost see Grace's subconscious dancing within her soul in happiness.
"How??" I asked, finding myself more interested in this news than I wanted to be.
Charity grabbed my hand and shook me with a squeal. "That's the best part guy, it's because of you! They freaking broke up because of you!"
I felt multiple emotions at the same time. A brief cold chill, goosebumps and a little swell of what I'd assume to be pride. "How did Irene cause them to break up?" asked Marcus.
"Amebo is it your gist?" snapped Grace almost instantly. "Please continue Charity," .

"So, Amira was gossiping about you with Sarah the brainless as per usual and Ejiro walked in and when he noticed it was you they were discussing, he asked if Amira couldn't talk about anything else," whispered Charity. I and Grace instinctively leaned in to listen to her. The boys even moved closer too.

"Ejiro now said that Amira sounds so bitter constantly talking about you and she now vexed and said that if she's so bitter, then he shouldn't be dating a bitter person. Ejiro just said she's right and said it's over between them. Amira just stood in shock like her brain wasn't processing it well, everyone just started clapping for Ejiro and he picked up his bag and walked out of class," said Charity.
Grace burst into laughter suddenly and Marcus soon followed. I couldn't believe it. Ejiro and Amira broke up. And it's because of me.