02

CHAPTER TWO » HYMN FOR THE WICKED
"What are you gonna burn for?"

A small white church with a bell tower stood in the middle of the clearing

A small white church with a bell tower stood in the middle of the clearing. It looked almost pristine, like a shining beacon of hope in the middle of the destruction around it.

Gabriel headed to the large front doors and reached into his pockets, pulling out a set of keys. But before he could go any further, Rick took a step in front of him.

"Hold up," he said, a stern look crossing over his face. "We'd like to have a look around."

Gabriel hesitated for a moment, his beady brown eyes flickering from Rick to the rest of us, before finally handing them over.

The doors whined as Rick pushed them open. He stepped into the church cautiously, Michonne and Daryl either side of him. I drew my gun as I followed after them, the floorboards heavily creaking underneath the weight of my feet.

The church was what you'd typically expect, but the sunlight pouring through the patterned windows created a beautiful glistening effect around the room, which made me stop and stare in awe.

"Blaire."

I jumped back in surprise, my breath catching in my throat. "Jesus–"

I turned to see my mother stood behind me, her eyebrows raised at my ironic exclamation. Stood just behind my mom, I noticed a smirk tug on Glenn's lips, who seemed amused to have witnessed the whole scenario too.

"Sorry," she apologised flatly. "I didn't mean to scare you."

I moved away from the windows, pacing in front of her slightly. "What's up?"

"We haven't had chance to talk."

I met Glenn's eyes again, widening my own to convey my annoyance at my mom's comment. He smiled sheepishly, quickly resuming what he was doing, so not to get involved.

I turned back to look at her. "Mom, I don't think now is a good time." My words were a little harsher than I'd meant, but I was feeling a little stressed, and couldn't help but bite back at her.

The whole ordeal last night of feeling watched had set me on edge, and I'd hardly slept at all, which in itself had already aggravated me. Most of all, Gabriel was majorly giving me the creeps, and I was fully preparing myself to get ambushed at the church. Not to mention I was absolutely starving. If I had to even so much as look at another pecan again I was probably going to cry.

"You're right," she told me, nodding simply. "We'll talk later."

I exhaled heavily as I watched her walk away, not wanting to push my mom away like I feared I had been doing ever since we reunited.