20

CHAPTER TWENTY » STILL HERE
"I'll always find you again, no matter what."

We fought for Alexandria all night

I'd lost count of how many walkers I had managed to kill, there were so many it almost seemed impossible that we would be capable of doing it, but with Glenn beside me, his presence alone keeping me going, making me want to fight, it seemed that anything was possible.

And somehow, we'd done it. We'd made it. We'd fought until there was nothing left to fight, until the sun had started to rise in the early morning. 

We were still here.

The moment the last walker was killed, I let the knife fall from my hand, too exhausted to even worry about there being any others lingering around to surprise us.

I took a few moments to catch my breath, wiping the sweat from my forehead, the small amount of blood I'd accidentally smeared on me an after thought. I pulled my bloodied hands away with a grimace, brushing them down on my jeans.

"Hey." I tilted my head, looking up at Glenn, who looked a little worse for wear. His hair had begun to curl slightly from the dampness of the sweat, which trickled down the side of his face. He was covered in splashes of blood, and his clothes were torn in places. And despite the bags underneath his eyes, they still twinkled as a smile pulled at his lips.

I wasted no time pressing my lips against his. He placed his hands on my arms, pulling me in closer as I deepened the kiss, in that moment, not caring about anything else in the world. He was here, and that was all that mattered.

I pulled back, looking up at him with slight confusion as I recalled what had happened the other day. "I saw you go down. I saw you fall. How?"

"I got underneath a dumpster, I stayed there all night," he replied, as I cast my mind back to the blood trail we'd found. "I–" he cut off, swallowing thickly. "I used Nicholas' body to shield me."

He shifted his gaze for a moment, and I knew he felt guilty about whatever happened to Nicholas – that was just who Glenn was, he cared a lot, maybe too much sometimes.

"I thought I'd lost you."

He shook his head, the corners of his mouth tugging into a small smile. "I'll always find you again, no matter what."

"I love you."

"I love you too," he said, pulling me closer towards him. "Always." I tilted my head, glancing up at him fondly, never wanting to leave his side ever again.

"Blaire, Glenn," Maggie spoke softly, watching us both cautiously, as if she was worried about interrupting a moment. "You guys saved my life."

I smiled at Maggie, untangling myself from Glenn to pull her into a warm hug. "I'm so glad you're okay," I told her as I moved away, allowing her and Glenn to embrace too.