18

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN » GONE
"We have to keep surviving. If not for us, then for them."

I barely remembered getting to the gates of Alexandria

I barely remembered getting to the gates of Alexandria. My entire body felt numb, as if my limbs weren't working like they should – as if I'd lost a part of me. Maybe I had.

And as I stood outside the gates, watching as they slowly began to swing open, I felt anywhere but at home.

Home. Glenn was my home.

Jade released her grip on me briefly to take down a few walkers, and I stumbled forwards slightly, losing the strength to even keep myself upright.

Michonne was at the gates straight away, taking my arm gently to steady me. Liv paused beside her, placing a hand on my shoulder, brown eyes full of concern as she glanced between me and Jade, searching for answers. "What the hell happened?"

Jade yanked her knife out of a walker, her ponytail swishing as she turned towards her girlfriend, eyes softening.

I moved aside to let the two embrace warmly, keeping my eyes focused the other way, unable to even bare to see them reunite. It wasn't fair. It wasn't fair that was taken away from me.

"Blaire?" Michonne prompted.

I turned away, watching as Maggie and Carter headed down towards us. The gates swung shut with a small crash, trapping us inside the walls. I suddenly felt very aware of all the eyes on me.

"What happened?" Michonne asked. "The fire didn't get lit."

Jade and I didn't say a word as she looked between us, realisation seeming to dawn on her that it was just the two of us left. I swallowed thickly, the pressure building against my chest feeling heavier and heavier.

"Glenn?" Maggie asked the question, her voice wobbling slightly. But she didn't need to ask. Everybody already knew the answer.

I brushed past them all, unable to stand the suffocating feeling for any longer.

"Blaire–" Olivia weakly called out, but there was defeat even in her voice.

I released a shaky breath, my vision clouding with tears as my path was suddenly blocked by Rick stepping in front of me. "Blaire," he reached out, causing me to instinctively push him away as I tried to push past.

"Don't," I said firmly. "Just don't."

In the distance, Carl stood with Judith in his arms, watching ahead with worried eyes. My mom was a few steps behind Rick, eyebrows drawn together in confusion.

"Blaire?" She asked. "What's going on?"

I turned my head, squeezing my eyes shut as I tried to halt the tears spilling down my cheeks. Slowly, my control began to waver. "Glenn–"I eventually choked out. A shaky breath caught in the back of my throat as my mom moved forwards, taking me into her arms. I buried my head against her shoulder, unable to finish my sentence, to say the words out loud.