24

CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR » THE TRADE
"It's gonna cost us something."

We sat quietly together in the main building, waiting for Jesus to come back with news

We sat quietly together in the main building, waiting for Jesus to come back with news. Glenn gently rubbed circles against my hand with his thumb, a comforting gesture in the midst of the very tense atmosphere swallowing the room.

Eventually, the door clicked open and our heads all snapped towards Jesus as he entered  the study. "Dr. Carson was able to patch Gregory up," he informed. "He's in pain, but he'll live."

"So, what happens now?" .

"Things like that don't usually happen here, but, uh, it's settled," He replied, crossing the room to stand in front of us all.

"We heard the name Negan," Rick started, folding his arms over his chest. "A while back, Daryl and Abraham had a run-in with his men. Who is he?"

"Negan's the head of a group of people he calls the Saviors," Jesus began. "As soon as the walls were built, the Saviors showed up. They met with Gregory on behalf of their boss. They made a lot of demands, even more threats. And he killed one of us–" Jesus paused, his voice growing thick was emotion. "–Rory. He was 16 years old. They beat him to death right in front of us. Said we needed to understand, right off the bat." I swallowed thickly, as Glenn's grip on my hand tightened. "Gregory's not exactly good at confrontation," Jesus continued. "He's not the leader I would've chosen, but he helped make this place what it is, and the people like him."

"He made the deal," Maggie spoke up from the corner of the room.

"Half of everything," Jesus confirmed. "Our supplies, our crops, our livestock, it goes to the Saviors."

"And what do you get in return?" Glenn asked.

"They don't attack this place," Jesus replied simply. "They don't kill us."

"Why not just kill them?" Daryl challenged.

"Most of the people here don't even know how to fight, even if we had ammo," Jesus responded.

"Well, how many people does Negan have?" Rick asked.

"We don't know," Jesus shrugged. "We've seen groups as big as 20."

"Now, hold up," Daryl started, an angry look in his eyes. "So, they show up, they kill a kid, and you give them half of everything? These dicks just got a good story. The bogeyman, he ain't shit."

"Well, how do you know?" Jesus pressed.

"A month ago, we took his guys out PDQ," Abraham said. "Left them in pieces and puddles."

"You know, we'll do it," Daryl stated. I looked up at him, a feeling of dread settling in my stomach about what he was about to offer. "If we go get your man back, kill Negan, take out his boys, will you hook us up?" Daryl looked at Jesus, awaiting his answer. "We want food, medicine, and one of them cows."