57

CHAPTER FIFTY SEVEN » THE END
"I keep asking myself whether that's who I really am...and the truth is, I don't know."

"Tell me the truth

"Tell me the truth. Did you know Liv was planning to kill Negan?"

Glenn sighed heavily, leaning his arms again the table, muscles tightening. "I knew that it was going to happen," he admitted. "But I didn't know when."

"Then why the hell–" I cut off, lowering my voice so not to wake the kids. "Why the hell didn't you tell me?"

"I wanted to protect you."

I drew in a sharp breath, my jaw tightening in frustration. "I don't need you to do that."

"You're my wife, Blaire." He said, looking up at me. "There's nothing I wouldn't do to protect you."

"You could have at least told me!" I retorted. "I had to find out from Carter."

"I'm sorry," he apologised. "But I thought I was doing the right thing."

I glanced down for a few moments, weighing up my options. "I need to be there," I decided. "I've been thinking it over all night and morning. If we leave now, we can get to Alexandria on time."

"Blaire, you know I'm always on your side, but betraying Rick like this isn't a good idea." I groaned in irritation. "Look, I want justice too, I really do. I was angry when he spared him, but I've had time to think about it now, and Negan living the rest of his life locked up in a cell might just be the best punishment we can give him." 

"Are you fucking serious?"

"This is who we are," Glenn stated. "This is the civilisation we're rebuilding our lives for."

"But it's not right!" I argued. "None of this is right!"

"Blaire..."

"This isn't who I am. I can't... I can't settle to this new life like you can.  At least...at least not yet. I really thought I could. I thought when the twins were born it would just fix everything, but it hasn't."

He sighed. "Blaire–"

"Every place we've had has gone," I pointed out, stepping towards him. "Because someone will always want what we have. The Governor, Negan–"

"This is different."

"We don't know that!" I countered. "Do you wanna know the last time I felt like me? It was when we were on the road. And that– that's fucking terrifying. I keep asking myself whether that's who I really am... and the truth is, I don't know. All I know is that out there, what we had, who we were...that made sense."