12

CHAPTER TWELVE » ALWAYS
"It isn't going to change the way I feel about you."

I stepped back from the full length mirror, turning around to face my friends

"Hot," Liv commented, adding a firm nod to emphasise her point. "Seriously hot."

"Agreed," Jade added, setting down a tube of lipgloss on the dresser. You look amazing."

I glanced down at the dark green dress I was wearing, smoothing down the material before I turned to face myself in the mirror agin. It was strange wearing something like that now; it felt stupid, too glamorous.

I was now starting to hate this dress and the idea of a 'welcome party.'

"I'm not going."

Olivia let out an exasperated sigh, lowering the mascara wand in her hand as she turned to face me. "Blaire, don't be ridiculous."

"I'm not being ridiculous," I countered, reaching for the thin black jacket I had lay out on the bed. "This all just seems so pointless."

"You're just not used to getting dressed up anymore," Jade pointed out, brushing through her dark hair.

"Hey." I glanced up, quietening down as I spotted Rosita by the slightly open doorway. She smiled softly, peeping her head through the door. "Can someone zip me up?"

I gestured for her to come inside, and she stepped in, showing off a sleek black cocktail dress. "You look nice," I commented, moving behind her. She brushed the hair away from her neck, allowing me to carefully zip up the back of the dress.

"Thanks," she smiled tightly as she turned back around, not quite masking her apprehension about the evening – apprehension I was sure we were all feeling. "You all look great."

A low whistle sounded from the open door, prompting the four of us to turn around to be met with the smug grin of Carter Weaver. "I'll second that. Looking good ladies."

Olivia grabbed a pillow from a nearby chair, launching it in his direction. "Get out of here."

Carter let out a low chuckle, catching the pillow swiftly before it hit him in the face. I found a smirk begin to tug at my lips as I spotted Abraham's figure slowly closing in behind him.

"Scram." Carter jumped slightly at his voice, appearing startled as he turned to face Abraham, who stood tall in the doorway.

"Yes sir." He saluted the four of us, sending a seemingly confident smile to Abraham before he disappeared out of sight.

Abe shook his head, moving into the doorway. "Blaire, you carrying?"

"A huge amount of distaste for this party? Yes." Jade shot me a warning look. I sighed heavily. "If you mean weapons, then..." I trailed off, moving to a set of draws in the corner room. I pulled open the bottom one, reaching in to pull out the gun Deanna had given me to use for being constable. I held it up, turning to face my friends. "Yes. Are you?"