31

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE » WHEN HE COMES CALLING
"I think that, when Rick's not here, I'm the one who takes his place."

The reality of what Negan had taken from us was one of the hardest pills to swallow, but the most difficult part for me was the nightmares that had followed

The reality of what Negan had taken from us was one of the hardest pills to swallow, but the most difficult part for me was the nightmares that had followed. Every single night I would see Abraham's gruesome death, over and over again. I would see Daryl being taken away from us once more. And sometimes, I would see deaths of my family – of Glenn, Carl, Daryl, Rick, Michonne, and evening my mom. The bodies would pile up, and all I would ever be able to do is stand there in the midst of all the death and blood.

Negan had taken so much from all of us, physically and mentally. And, stood in the completely empty living room of mine and Glenn's house, there was nothing more I wanted to do than run. Run from him, from everything. But I'd never be able to run from the memories of what happened. That would stay with me, with all of us, forever – engrained in my mind like the waking nightmare it is.

Rick and Michonne had been out scavenging for Negan since he'd stopped by Alexandria the other day, demanding supplies that we didn't have. In retaliation, Negan had taken pretty much everything we owned, including our weapons. We'd been left open and defenceless to attack, and without three of our best fighters – Rick, Michonne and Daryl.

Glenn sighed heavily, making his presence known as he stepped into the lounge. "We need to start figuring some things out," he said, beginning to pace the length of the floor as I sank back against the couch, closing my exhausted eyes momentarily. Glenn had been doing this a lot, telling all of us we had to figure a way out of the mess we found ourselves in; asking questions of us that nobody quite had the answer to. And as much as I admired his hope and belief that we could always figure a way out of whatever awful situation we got ourselves in, this time I wasn't so sure.

"I know."

"Rick and Michonne can't keep going out to scavenge for him," he stated, eventually stopping in front of the fireplace and turning to face me.

"I know."

"We have no weapons, hardy any food– I mean, how do we expect them to do that for us?" He shook his head in exasperation, sitting down on the sofa opposite me. He placed his elbows on his thighs, head falling into his hands. "This is such a mess."

I sighed softly. "I know, Glenn."

He was silent for a few moments, lost in thought the same way I was being consumed by my own. Glenn lifted his head, staring over at me. "What happens when Rick and Michonne aren't here and Negan comes calling?" I shifted my gaze over to him, meeting his eyes as I swallowed thickly, definitely not wanting to ever have to answer that question. "I know without them it would always fall on you Daryl to take over, but Daryl's not here either."