19

CHAPTER NINETEEN » WALLS
"I don't know how to do this without him."

"Where the hell have you been?" Rick asked, taking a step in front of the three of to block our way past

"Where the hell have you been?" Rick asked, taking a step in front of the three of to block our way past. "How did you get out?"

"It doesn't matter," Liv responded, placing a hand on my forearm to escort me past the stern faces that had been awaiting our arrival.

"Yes, Liv, yes it does," Jade bit back, moving to stand beside Rick, hands placed firmly on her hips. "Why didn't you tell me what you were doing? I could have helped, I could have come with you."

"We all could," Michonne added.

Everybody's gazes all seemed to fall on me, looking for answers, but I didn't have any.

"You can't just leave like that," Mom stepped forwards, shaking her head in disappointment. "Do you even realise what you put us through?"

Rick placed a hand on her shoulder, stopping my mom in her tracks. "Tania," he warned. She inhaled sharply, her shoulders relaxing slightly, though her harsh stare did not falter.

I closed my eyes, swallowing thickly. "I'm sorry," I eventually told them.

"Blaire," Rick said, cutting through the silence that had fallen around us. I glanced up at him, expecting to be met with another stern expression, but he wore a softer look, full of concern. "Walk with me," he said, nodding his head in the other direction.

I nodded slowly, silently moving away from Carter and Liv, who both stepped aside to let me pass. Rick and I walked quietly for a few moments, putting distance between us and the others, until he stopped, turning to face me. "Why didn't you tell me you were going back?"

"I just–" I cut off, exhaling heavily. "I just– I didn't wanna put anyone in danger," I told him. "I'm sorry, Rick. It wasn't like I was planning on Liv and Carter coming."

"Blaire," Rick sighed, placing both hands on my shoulders. "You're family, and so was Glenn. We would have been there."

"I know," I said quietly, lowering my gaze. Glenn was family. Was. "I'm sorry."

"You don't have to apologise."

I bit down on my bottom lip as my eyes began to sting with tears. I shook my head, taking a deep breath to try to compose myself. I was so fucking sick of crying.

Rick didn't say a word, opening his arms as I moved closer to him, resting my head against his shoulders, tears spilling down my cheeks and onto his shirt as desperately tried to hold back my cries. I didn't want to fall apart again.

"I don't know how to do this without him," I admitted, wiping underneath my eyes as I slowly moved back. "It was always me and him," I said, swallowing emotion thickly. "It was me and him, right from the start. I don't know how to do this without him."