34

CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR » HIDING
"If they come down here, we're trapped."

"You're supposed to be resting

"You're supposed to be resting."

"And aren't you supposed to be in Alexandria?" I countered back at Carter, glancing between him and Maggie suspiciously. "What's going on?"

"He came to help train some of Hilltop's people, the ones willing to fight," Maggie explained, as my eyes finally fell on the amount of gear Carter was carrying.

Glenn placed a hand on my shoulder as I breathed out, allowing myself to relax slightly. I'd felt tense all morning, not entirely sure why, though Glenn had suggested it was perhaps because we were all separated and not at home. He probably was right, I always felt much safer around my people in Alexandria. Without Rick, Michonne, Carl, my mom, Liv, Jade – it didn't feel right.

"Okay," I said. "I can help."

"All right," Carter replied with a shrug, sliding off one of the backpacks on his shoulder and passing it to me by the handle. "Lets get–"

"The Saviors are coming!"

Carter's words halted, his eyes meeting mine. Glenn's hand tightened on my shoulder as I straightened up, locking stares with Maggie.

"He can't see all this shit," Carter said, indicating to the bags of guns.

I nodded in agreement, turning back to Maggie. "You got somewhere to hide all this?"

"Um, yeah," she assured, sparing a glance behind her. "Yeah, okay, come quick."

"Here," Carter passed me the other bag full of weapons. "Take this." I took hold of it, shifting one bag over my shoulder, gripping tightly onto the handles of the other two, whilst Carter turned to Maggie. "I'll buy you some time."

"Yeah, I'll come with you," Glenn offered, squeezing my shoulder as he moved past.

"Be careful," Maggie told them both.

I nodded in agreement, meeting Glenn's eyes. "Please be careful."

Both men began to jog towards the gates, whilst Maggie looked over at me, indicating in the opposite direction. "This way."

She held out a hand, taking both bags before I could argue, leading me towards the houses. Enid came to a stop a short distance away from us, Maggie seeming to instantly convey to her what she was planning. "This way," Enid instructed, taking the lead.

She stopped in front of a cellar, flinging the doors open. "Daryl's already in there."

"I'll take these down,"I said, holding my hands out to take the bags from Maggie. "I'll hide them,"