04

CHAPTER FOUR » LEAVE
"I just wish I got to say goodbye."

For the first time in a while, I felt genuinely and utterly lost for words

For the first time in a while, I felt genuinely and utterly lost for words. Bob's sorrowful and pained brown eyes stared up at me in anticipation, whilst I struggled to figure out the right thing to say.

I left the room shortly after offering him my well wishes, feeling a pull at my heart. This world was cruel.

Sasha exited the office not long after I did, the collected expression on her face not showing a single ounce of the turmoil I knew she was going through inside. I watched her stop and turn her body away from the door, taking in a sharp intake of breath.

I stepped forwards, only to pause, deliberating for a moment before I eventually decided on walking over to her. Upon the sound of my footsteps, I watched as she sharply brushed away a single tear falling down her cheek.

"Hey," I greeted. Sasha didn't turn around. I glanced to the side, swallowing thickly as I thought my words through. The tension in the air was weighing down on both of us. "I just– I wanted to say that I'm here if you need anything," I paused. "And I'm sorry. Truly." Sasha didn't respond, so I stepped back to leave, only hesitating for a second. "He's in a better place," I added, knowing whatever I said could never fully bring peace to her, but at least I could show and give her my support.

Heavy footsteps seemed to break the silence between us, and I glanced past her, my eyes landing on Rick, who had Judith curled up close to his chest. He paused a short distance away, and Sasha instantly took off again, heading back to the office to be with Bob.

I let out a heavy breath, making my way over towards Rick, who kept his focus on his daughter. "Can I hold her?" I asked him. Rick nodded, sparing a loving glance down at Judith before shifting her in his arms slightly, passing her over to me.

She didn't once stir from her sleep as I took her gently, pulling her close to my chest, my arms taking a moment to adjust to the weight. I bent my head down, lightly kissing the top of her head, where small, light brown tufts of hair had began to grow.

"How are you doing?"

"I've been better," I told him truthfully, my eyes remaining on Judith as I carefully placed my hand to support her. "You?"

Rick rubbed his hand against his beard, sparing a glance to the side. "Yeah. I've better too."

I dropped my gaze to the ground for a moment, as an uncomfortable silence began to wash over us both. The whole Washington fiasco was still playing my mind, and I didn't doubt for a moment that it wasn't in his too.

"I'm sorry," I eventually told him, lifting my head back up to look at him once more. "About what I said."

"No," Rick sighed heavily, shaking his head. "You were right." His eyes locked with mine. "It's not my call."