41

CHAPTER FORTY ONE » STILL BREATHING
"We can do better."

"Oh, you've got to be fucking kidding me

"Oh, you've got to be fucking kidding me."

I came to a stop beside Glenn as a loud boom thundered through the air. Carl stared ahead at the gates of Alexandria, his eye wide. I felt my chest tighten into a heavy knot, the back of my hand brushing against Glenn's as we awaited Negan's entrance.

"You may be wondering why the hell your lookouts didn't sound the alarm," His voice cut through the air. Even with the sound slightly crackled from the megaphone, it was unmistakably him. He really wasn't dead, they hadn't finished him off, and Rick wasn't even here to fight with us and see off his fucking plan. "See, we are polite. I mean, I don't know when they're gonna wake up from that kinda shot, but they should wake up."

"What now?" Tara asked as the group moved in closer together, all seeming to look to each other for answers.

"We're fucked," Carter stated, eyes flitting between each of them. "Completely fucked."

"No, not yet," I dismissed, levelling my gaze with the gates of Alexandria. My stare hardened, my thoughts becoming consumed with images of the people we'd lost to Negan. He wasn't taking my home too.

"So let's just cut through the cow shit–" Negan continued on, the commotion outside bringing concerned people out of their houses in confusion. "You lose. It's over. So you're gonna line up in front of your little houses, and you're gonna work up some apologies, and then the person with the lamest one is gonna get killed."

"Hey, what the fuck is going on?" Jade questioned, heading over to the group with Judith on her hip. Everybody's attention immediately fell on the toddler, who nobody wanted anywhere near harm's way.

"Stay behind me," Liv ordered her girlfriend, holding an arm out in front of Jade and Judith. Naturally, she and Carter moved protectively in front of them, blocking Negan's view if he were to come any further inside. I inched closer towards them, glancing around at the Alexandrians staring fearfully ahead. We didn't have a lot of fighters. This was going to be another game we were destined to lose unless we figured something out quick.

"Then I kill Rick in front of everybody, and we move on," Negan carried on bellowing. "You have three– count 'em– three minutes to open this gate, or we start bombing the shit out of you!"

"They got out," Michonne whispered to herself, the stark realisation finally hitting her at how much danger we all were actually in.

The whistle from the night Abraham was murdered sounded through the microphone, sending my blood running cold in my veins. I was cast back to that horrifying night, back to the screams, the terror, the gruesome murder, and back to everything that followed.