28|| My Heroes

"My daddy said, that the first time you fall in love, it changes you forever and no matter how hard you try, that feeling just never goes away."

- Nicholas Spark, The Notebook

28|| My Heroes

------------------------

"So you do this." Brother twists the poppies' stem into a loop.

"Like this...?" I try to do what he did. He chuckles.

"Not exactly. Like this." He does it again and I try it again. I look up at him and he smiles down at me.

"Woah..." I stare up at my dazzlingly handsome brother I call my prince. I believed that my brother... Lucifer... Was the most beautiful creation ever. Even though people call him the nastiest names, say awful and cruel things about him, he's just doing his job. But he still treats me wonderfully.

"What are you gaping at?" He pokes my nose. I blink and feel my face heat up.

"Not you!" I turn around and huff. I hear his hearty chuckle and couldn't help but sneak a peek and stare at him. "Brother..."

"Hmm?" He starts to plait my long black hair with his long, flawless, gentle fingers. Rough on others but always gentle to me.

"I want to be beautiful." I pick the petals of the poppies and feel him pause for a moment before continuing.

"But you are beautiful." He says lovingly and meaningfully. Tears welled up in my eyes.

"Really brother...? You are the most beautiful person ever... And you say that to me? Look at me." I show him my scarred, scratched and bruised arms, I point to the freckles on my face, the contract on my eye. I look down and I hear him sigh. He lifts my chin up and bops my head. He rests his forehead on mine.

"Now look at me." I look straight into his eyes. "I think freckles, stretch marks, tattoos, bruises, birthmarks and scars are probably the coolest thing..." I tilt my head and he straightens it. "...Look at it this way, you started with almost a blank canvas and look at you now. All this evidence that you've lived and the sun had shone on you and you've grown and maybe tripped up a few times and liked an image so much you made it a permanent part of yourself, beautiful." He kisses the tip of my nose. (Quote from tumblr)

The corners of my lips tug up. "Thank you!" I burst into tears and throw my arms around his neck. He falls back but sits back up. I feel him wrap his arms around me and pat my back as I cry tears of joy. "You really are my prince,mbrother!" I pull away and giggle. He grins and stands up. He spins me around and I laugh happily. "I'm getting dizzy!" He stops and we both laugh.

My prince charming.

The echo of both our laughter filled the backyard.

It was just the two of us. Helena hadn't come into our lives yet but... We were happy.

We sat down under our favourite blossom tree, having a tea party. "Would you like some tea your majesty?" I try to copy our head maid Sina.

Brother chuckled. "Sure." He holds his cup out and I put the toy teapot down and cross my arms.

"No no no! Have you not learned proper table manners?!"

"Oops." He chuckles.

"Not oops! First of all! You hold your cup like this!" I pick my cup up with my thumb and index finger, my pinky sticking up and I sip the tea obnoxiously.

Brother mocks me and smirks. "Like this?"

"Don't mock me!" I pout. He laughs.

"Okay I'm sorry. Please teach me proper table etiquette princess Ana." He sits up straight and I nod.