Chapter 7

Patch slowly gets out of the back seat of the car and walks to the driver side and sits down in the seat. What was he supposed to do? He had no knowledge at all on how to drive a car. Were the cops watching him?

He glances around meeting the worried eyes of Jenika.

"Maybe the cops will leave and we'll switch drivers." She says, trying to calm the frightened man.

"Why aren't they leaving?" Kirstie asks as she looks out the back glass.

"I don't know. I can't believe those assholes arrested him. He's not even drunk." Jenika says as she tries to fight back the tears. "He's never been in trouble before. He's definitely never been in jail. This is all my fault. If I hadn't been arguing with him, he would have been paying more attention to his driving."

"I don't think they're leaving." Patch says as he looks into the review mirror. "What am I supposed to do?"

"We can't panic for sure." Kirstie says.

"Too late for that." Patch replies.

"Okay, I've got an idea." Jenika says as she reaches over and starts the car. "Patch, put you foot on the brake."

"What's the brake?" Patch asks.

"It's the first peddle on the left." Jenika says as she moves over as far as she could toward the driver's seat.

"What's the left?" Patch asks with a nervous chuckle.

"This is your left leg." Jenika says pointing to his leg. "Put your left foot on that peddle and push down."

Patch nods as he does what he is told.

"Now, don't take it off until I tell you to." Jenika says as she shifts the car into drive. She stretches her leg over so she could reach the accelerator. "Good thing I have long legs. (She laughs) Now, give me the steering wheel."

"Give you the steering wheel?" Patch asks with a puzzled look. "How do I do that?"

"Honey, just lay your hands in your lap. I'm going to steer the car." Jenika giggles.

Patch nods and lays his hands in his lap.

"Okay, take your foot off the brake." Jenika says. "Y'all keep your fingers crossed."

Patch looks at his hands as he tries to figure out how to cross his fingers and which ones was he suppose to cross.

"My heart is beating out of my chest." Kirstie says as Jenika navigates the car back onto the road.

"I don't think mine is even beating." Jenika smiles as she concentrates on not swerving. "This is harder than it looks. We need to find a service station so we can switch drivers."

Patch nods quickly.

~~

Tim watches nervously from the backseat of the cop car. He knew that Patch was behind the wheel and he was also pretty sure that he knew nothing about driving a car. 

"What the hell?" He mumbles to himself as the car pulls out onto the highway.

"Thought they were having trouble for a minute." The cop says. "But everything seems to be fine. Let's get back to the station."

'Trouble? Of course not. Fine? Sure.' Tim thought to himself as he stares out the window. 'You put a man that has never been behind a wheel before, driving. What trouble could they be having? You Dickweed.'

"Well, here we are, Mr. Foust. Motel 6." The cop laughs. "You're reservation is waiting."

"Cute. Ever thought about being a comedian?" Tim mumbles.