Chapter 26 "FIONA"

Life with my ex-husband was a nightmare and it was the portion of my being which I tried hard to forget

Life with my ex-husband was a nightmare and it was the portion of my being which I tried hard to forget. In no way did I want to involve my own son in his business. I did everything that I could—safeguarded him, prayed for him, even offered to endure his tortures in Kyle's place, but nothing helped. I suffered defeat every day, knowing that my motherly love wasn't quite enough. A mother needs to have a brave heart, a strong spirit and the ability to protect her child—to protect like a lioness guarded her cub, ready to tear apart anyone who dared to step closer to her little one.

But my naivety and my belief that people could change with time led me to becoming non-decisive in my actions. And worse, my ex-husband was a tyrant and always had the last word. He liked his unlimited power and obedience. He was a born leader.

When I met Eberardo, I was very young and inexperienced. I didn't know anything about life. I used to live with my parents in Ireland, in a small town called Kinsale. My house was a cocoon which my family had created for me, in order to protect their youngest daughter from her future mistakes. I never spent any time in clubs, didn't go drinking with my friends and wasn't looking for sexual adventures. I was a good girl who under no circumstances could have been seduced by any man. I was brought up like a nun who had promised to keep the vow of celibacy for the rest of her life and be obedient to God. So in general, I was not even bothered anymore about my forgotten plans to go to a university and to get a good job.

But fate put a bright solitaire before my eyes and soon after, I got to face my first love and my first disappointment.

I used to work in a textile manufacturing factory and our shifts were constantly changing. Sometimes I had to stay at work longer to wait for the girl who took the shift after me and could leave only after she arrived. One such day, the girl didn't show up for work at all. When it made no sense in waiting any longer, I packed my bag and stepped out into the night.

It was dark and damp after the previous spell of rain. A dim moonlight fell on the road leading to my house and black clouds covered the sky. The streetlights were out, which made things worse. But I wasn't fazed. I tightly cinched the belt of my felt cloak to keep the warmth inside and took a detour to quickly get to my place.

That, I realized later, was a wrong decision.

As I walked through the empty street, I heard footsteps behind me. I felt a terrible fear. Someone was watching me. I wondered if I should have just spent the night at the factory and maybe I could have called my family to inform that I would not be coming. But honestly, I couldn't stay at work, considering how I hated dark, large and chilly spaces.

I ran and stumbled, almost falling down on the dirt road. But strong hands seized me. I squeaked, frightened that it was him—the stalker who was following me. My lips trembled, my hands were sweaty and I was on edge. I didn't even want to think what he wanted from me.

But when he talked, his heavy voice calmed me. He said I had nothing to fear when he was around. He warned me that it was unsafe to wander alone at such a time. I remained silent in response while he continued to hold me in his hands, closely examining me.