Chapter 33 "VIOLET"

Making our way to the first floor was successful: without problems

Making our way to the first floor was successful: without problems. Then all we need is to be on the street quietly. But how?

"Here, in one of the rooms, there is a secret passage. I hope Mignon opened it. If not, we're screwed up."

"True..." I breathed out, agreeing with Richard and continuing to go quickly after him.

The corridor was empty, and we were lucky about this. When Richard reached the sought-for room, he carefully opened the door. From the horror of what I saw, I clamped a hand over my mouth, endeavoring not to scream. Mignon lay on the floor; they shot hit him right in the chest. I sobbed bitterly.

Oh gosh... our defender Mignon... No...

"Poor Mignon, he didn't deserve this," Richard desperately spoke to me, looking at the lifeless body of Mignon. "Doubtless, they're on the watch for us. I'm sorry, Violet, but it is likely that they will find us..."

"We still can try, Richard. Especially for Mignon who sacrificed himself that we could escape."

He sighed heavily. Looking around the room he noticed a wooden chair. Grabbing clothes from a chair, he threw it to me.

Possibly, Mignon cared to get some clothes for me. Oh, Mignon...

I quickly put an old cotton jumpsuit on my bare body. It unpleasantly scratched my skin when I also put my leather jacket around my shoulders. While Richard turned off the edge of the carpet and raised a patch of the floor with his fingers, I suddenly heard a strange click and the unknown mechanism brattled. The floor started to move, opening a dark dungeon for us.

Wow! It was definitely a bunker, not a castle.

"Come down, Violet. I'll back you up from behind. You never know who will enter," nodding towards the stairs that led into the dungeon, Richard said.

"And Helena?" I was interested in her.

"She is hiding in a safe place as Mignon instructed her. Don't worry, she will recognize you. I told her how you look like. But be careful, being at the exit, Violet. Take it."

Richard handed me some money and a gun. I've got the cash, but I flatly refused the gun. Why taking from Richard his latest protection that could save him from Grave and his thugs? After all, the dagger was still with me after I cleaned it and put it in the pocket of my jacket.

"Violet, don't be silly! You both must have a gun near yourselves!" He insisted, but I did not yield to his entreaties. I've had enough deaths!

"It is necessary for you, Richard. Leave it. And take care," I hugged him for the last time and barely restrained myself from crying. I was acquainted with him just for several hours, but he reminded me so much of my cousin Christian. A caring and fearless man as well.

"Tell Helena that we will meet soon."

"Okay," I stiffly smiled to him, having a fear that I will not see him again. Such ambiguity in words meant that something bad could happen. But I asked God to protect Richard. He was supposed to live.