Chapter 27 "FIONA"

Eberardo ordered his cousin, Enzo de Rege, to live with us and he was asked to discipline Kyle in his absence—to raise Kyle using deadlier and fiercer methods and to not spare my young son.

One day, as we were having supper, Enzo told me something I wished I never had to hear him say again.

"So Fiona, since your husband ran away from you, I could take his place. I always wonder if the rumors from friends of Eberardo's about your passion in bed were true."

He wasn't even bothered that Kyle was listening to every word. I did not reply. I got up to put the plates away. But Enzo was not about to give up. He caught me by my arm, sneering at me smugly.

"Do I need to beg for your permission?" He mocked me, but I slipped away and continued to do my business

"Do I need to beg for your permission?" He mocked me, but I slipped away and continued to do my business. Enzo was angry at my silence and total indifference to him. He hit my cheek and tried to push closer to me, but I was quick to react with a good kick to his crotch.

"Stupid whore!" He insulted me and left the room. I heard him shut the front door loudly.

He figured that I was not too easy to break; I was stronger than ever. Moreover, Eberardo was not around. There was no one to get me drunk or to let other men use my body. I was in my right mind and was ready to defend. I fought against Enzo as much as I could. But he apparently enjoyed my defiance. He was waiting for me to get tired of fighting so that he could do whatever he wanted with me—to possess me. Or maybe that was one of Eberardo's ideas—to completely defile me.

How I despised both of them at that moment! How I suffered from all the despair!

But even though I did my best, I could not make Enzo pity my son. It was no use. He was the same kind of beast Eberardo was, if not worse. He locked me up in my room whenever he decided to whip Kyle with his belt, as demanded by his brother.

I could only cry and bang on the wall, begging him to stop.

"Enzo, enough! He is my son... Spare him, for God's sake!"

"Shut up, bitch!" Enzo yelled at me, continuing to torture my son. My palms bled as I endeavored to crush the wall and save my son. My desire to help Kyle surpassed all the pain, even though I knew that all my attempts were in vain.

"Daddy, please!" I heard Kyle's screams and my soul shattered to pieces. This was the worst punishment a mother could get—to hear her son suffer.

"And you shut up, you little shit!" Enzo told Kyle, not stopping and hurting my baby as much as he could. I could hear Kyle's every word. It was awful. I sobbed like a mad woman. Especially when I heard how he called Enzo 'daddy'.

Kyle still believed that Enzo was his real father. It could have been that he didn't have a good memory of his younger days or because of the psychological shock he had experienced after the first beating he had received from his real father. I supposed that's why memories about Eberardo were wiped out and Kyle recognized a father in a person who was constantly near him.