Chapter 6: My Enemy (Book 2)

I'm back! If you comment more than 3 times this chapter, you get a shout out. Shout outs are coming up in just one more chapter so don't forget to comment. You guys know how much I love your opinions.

Sahem Awa

Every since the day that Princess Lorena told me that she hated me, I tried to pretend like it did not matter. I pretended like she was just the daughter of the lowlife man that I was trying to take revenge on. I told myself this all the time, every day and hour that the hurt seeped in and I realized that Lorena really hated me.

I tried to tell myself that she didn't matter- that she never mattered in the first place- and that I ought to take just take revenge on her family and her people like I was supposed to be doing. But no matter how much I tried to convince myself of these things, I know I could never do them. I had developed a relationship with Lorena and I was still worried about her, even after she told me she hated me.

I still worried about her wellbeing or what she was going to do about that imbecile who hit her. I still worried about how she would sleep at night or who would try to hurt her. My point is I still care about Lorena and I hated myself for it. I was a grown man- a beast, as some people in my town would call me- and yet, here I was worrying about a girl who I was supposed to be furious at.

Despite all the other things my mind was on, I had other matters to worry about.

Today, Gloria would come home from overseas. As much as I hated Gloria, she still took interest in following me around and insisting that I marry her. She is not a princess or of royal blood but she is a very wealthy woman. Her father is a rich merchant and he has made enough money to build his own village. Her father has been friends with my father for as long as I could remember. Actually, her father was a decent man but his daughter was very dishonorable.

Gloria could have married a long time ago but she has had her eye set on me for the past ten years. Gloria is only twenty-five now but her obsession with marrying me started when she was fifteen.

I have tried over and over to tell her she is not the right person I intend to marry but my father intervened. He really loved Gloria- like his own, in fact and before I knew it, I was getting engaged to her against my own will. She was my betrothed but then I saw Gloria's true colors. She started to demand things of me that I gave to no one. She wanted jewels and sincere love but I was not ready to give that because I was never interested in her in the first place.

After one month of her endless torture, I finally took control of the situation and ignoring what my father said, I broke off the engagement with Gloria.

However, since Gloria would be coming home from overseas today, my father felt the sudden need to bring up matters of the past. He felt the need to talk about us getting back together.

"Sahem! It is time that you start thinking about your future! Gloria is smart and talented. She is from a prestigious family and you are rejecting her like a coward! You are downgrading our name and our forefathers because of your selfishness," my father insulted me.

"I do not want to marry a person who wishes only to have a throne to call theirs. I want to marry a person who wants me and I will never succumb so low to the point where I have to marry a person just because of their money. I have my own bloody money and I do not need Gloria's," I sternly told my father. I knew we would keep having this certain conversation until I got married. But until I found a suitable person, I would keep on having this conversation with my father.

"Son, you are my first born and my only child. Your mother and I have been waiting for the opportunity for you to get married. Gloria is the perfect candidate for-"