why me?

a n n i e

"good morning, kenzie! wake up!" i yell, jumping on kenzie's back. i'm desperate to find out what happened last night.

you see, last night, hayden and i set johnny and mackenzie up. we were suppose to go to this garden as a group of four, but hayden and i made up excuses so jenzie could possibly happen.

"hmm? i don't wanna, anns!" she groans.

"well, it's monday which means you get to see johnny today!" i smirk in a convincing voice. as soon as i mention johnny she shoots up.

"last night! i need to tell you about last night!" she squeals and i get even more excited for my best friend.

"spill!"

"wait." kenzie looks me in the eye. "you and hayden set us up, didn't you?"

"uh... did it work?" i giggle. she blushes. "just continue."

"okay well we walked through the garden until we made a turn and found this cute little bandstand there were fireflies everywhere and the flowers were absolutely gorgeous. we were curious so we went to it. we stood there in silence until john asked me if i believed in love. i sad yes and then he asked me if i loved anyone. i managed to say that i loved him and then he just kissed me. and let me tell you, annie. he's a damn good kisser. he also said that he loved me back! long story short, he asked me to be his girlfriend and i obviously said yes!" she explains. i squeal.

"my best friend has a boyfriend. my best friend has a boyfriend!" i tackle her into a huge bear hug as she giggles. then, maddie barges into the room.

"i heard the word boyfriend. who has a boyfriend?" she asks, wide eyed.

"mackenzie is officially dating johnny!" i screech and maddie joins our hug.

"it's took you two long as fuck, kenz." maddie jokes once we all pull apart. we all fall into fits of laughter until kenzie asks a question.

"now it's time for mission hannie!" she smirks and i blush like a maniac. "i need to set you two up!"

"i don't think it'll ever happen..." i frown and looked down at my chipping nail polish.

"i'll just get going..." maddie awkwardly says as she gets up.

"no no! stay! i trust you." i smile.

"you sure."

"of course."

"why would think that about you and hayden?" kenzie asks.

"i don't think he likes me..."

"oh come on, annie! it's like so obvious." kenzie says.

"well, a few months ago when i asked hayden if john likes you, he said that johnny used to like you even before we all started talking. he said that he used to admire you from afar. then hayden almost said that he admired someone from afar, but he stopped himself. i asked him who it was, and he said he didn't wanna talk about it. i said that i would get it out of him later, but not at that moment. i don't know, i doubt that he was talking about me."

"well why don't you just ask him. don't directly ask if it's you, just ask him who it was. bring it up and don't make it too obvious or harsh." maddie suggests.

"yeah, you never know. maybe hannie can happen!" kenzie wiggles her eyebrows.

"i don't know. i guess i'm just scared. i doubt myself too much. one of my biggest fears is to get rejected. and not just rejected by a boy. rejected in general." i say.

"you have to get over you fears, annie." maddie states.

"i guess you're right. i'll ask him today. let's just get ready."

kenzie and i got to school pretty early. which is weird since we spent so much time talking this morning. as i was closing me locker, locker #77, i felt someone cover my eyes. i smelled his cologne. hayden taylor summerall.

"hayden!" i giggle and turn around as he covers my eyes.

"hi." he smiles. like i said, it was early. so, we sat on a bench against the wall of the hallway. we sat in silence before he broke it.

"what do you think of all the hannie shippers and jenzie shippers online?"

see, ever since hayden and johnny started hanging out with us a lot, we started getting a lot more attention on the internet since they featured us on their social media. put of nowhere, people started shipping kenz with johnny and me with hayden. at the moment. kenzie and i have about 300,000 followers on instagram and twitter and its growing rapidly.

"i don't really know. i wonder when john and kenzie are gonna announce their relationship." i mention.

"i don't think it will be any time soon. our fans can be a little crazy and some of them still like mia over kenzie. i don't think that they're even gonna be couple like at school either. things spread fast." he says.

"yeah..." i decided that i should ask him right now. "hey hayden?"

"yeah annie?"

"remember a few months ago when i asked you if johnny likes kenz and you said that he used to admire her from afar? you were going to say something after that but you stopped yourself. what were you going to say?"

"well. can we go somewhere more private. there's this little hideaway behind the school where no one can see us." he asks.

"sure."

when we reached there, he didn't hesitate to start talking. "well, i've had feeling for this one girl for a really long time. just like johnny's case, i would admire her from far away. she was just so beautiful. but, of course, at the time there was liv. so i couldn't even speak to her."

"oh... well who was that girl?" i ask him. he stays silent for a minute until he croaks something out that i ever thought i would hear.

"you. that girl was you, annie."

i said the first thing that came to my mind. "but... why me?"

~

1013 words.

sorry if there's any typos lol i didn't check
thanks to hannjenzie for helping me figure out what a bandstand is lmao im stupid bye