Chapter 18

[Mintshy's POV]

I pawed at the ground as I looked across the border. I needed to go and see Starlingcall, but I didn't want to just barge into their territory. I had been waiting at the edge of their territory since high noon and the sun is slowly starting to set. I hadn't seen one patrol.

Despite what I thought and what I wanted to do, I took a step over the border and continued into their territory. I carefully looked around the area, but still didn't see anyone. I sighed and headed toward the camp not liking this one bit. They had to have patrols going or they were going to get invaded. Why did they have no patrols at the moment?

I watched the trees and then watched where I stepped. I was careful not to step on any fallen twigs but still kept an eye out for SmallClan warriors.

It took me a little bit to navigate through their trees and hills, but I got to the camp and at first, I saw no one. As I crouched lower to the ground and sniffed the air, their scent was almost stale, but there was DepthClan scent in the camp that was tainted with something like poison.

Just as I was about to pounce into the camp, I saw the black movement of one of the Phantoms. I hadn't seen them up and close, but I was stuck where I was in fear. The black wisps of a form bounced around the camp, the grey eyes searching for something else to do. Three of the trails led toward the apprentice den, not moving no matter how far the Phantom went.

I knew this Phantom. It had to be Morte. He was the Phantom with the grey eyes, meanwhile Malvago had red eyes and Vendetta had deep blue ones. It was one of the only way to tell the three Phantoms apart except for their killing.

I smiled slightly. At least it wasn't Malvago. If it was her, I would be dead in a heartbeat. Morte was better, he had been a good cat in his past life in the Dark Forest. He had been reformed and allowed in StarClan. I might be able to get some sense out of him that I just needed to talk to Starlingcall.

I stepped into the camp slowly and his head turned toward me with a quick snap. I dipped my head to the Phantom that was a lot more powerful than me.

I opened my mouth to say something, but he beat me to it. "What is a LilyClan medicine cat doing in the SmallClan camp?" The voice sounded like it was dripping with poison.

I shuddered at the thought and tried to keep a tough exposure, but that wasn't me. My eyes darted toward the apprentice den and I saw three black figures, but even through the shadow trails I could tell who they were. Cheetahpelt, Icehowl, and Deerscar were all trapped in the SmallClan camp. This was going to be trouble.